20 year old multiple gallstones

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been getting pains in my back lower right hand side , been present for two days so went to the doctor and said for me to go for an ultrasound so I did only to find out that I have multiple gallstones between 5-8mm in size now I was told that I need surgery which I'll get it done when I get home to my own country since I don't want the op in India cause I have no medical insurance... my question is that what foods do I have to avoid so my gallbladder isn't constantly in pain and won't worsen it? And what foods can I eat?? Thank you in advance 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm from india currently in USA, i think the cost for surgery in india is less compared to UK or USA even without insurance and also there is no need for insurance in India and you can get surgery done quicker. Regarding the food to it , it depends  person to person. But any oily/fatty/spicy/fried/protein items should be avoided. I have gallstones, but not yet removed my gallbladder.

• Posted

Eat a low fat diet and eat several small meals a day instead of three larger meals. This won’t stop attacks completely but they will happen less often and not be as severe. Bananas, pears, rice, toast, chicken (no skin), non oily fish and plain vegetables are all good. Avoid spicy foods. 
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder out in Sept. I was told to avoid fried food, greasy food, not too much beef because it has more fat than chicken turkey and fish. So low fat foods. I have learned no fast food for me. I tried a grilled chicken sandwich and about 6 French fries. About 20 minuets later I had yellow water diarrhea. You can check on google or web md ask for gallbladder diet
    • Posted

Wise advice! The trouble is patients are not generally being given dietary advice. In fact they are told you can live without a gallbladder and eat ‘normally’ after surgery. But what is ‘normal’? I think they mean eat healthily, so no take away pizza, curries, Chinese food or fish and chips. When patients are being told they can eat normally, they assume they can eat ansolutely anything, when actually quite a lot of patients have dietary issues eating these foods. I had a healthy diet pre surgery. I ate portions that were too big so I’d put weight on, but it was mostly low fat healthy food with the occasional take away treat maybe once a week. I have tried some of these foods since, but like you, I end up regretting it, so I’m happy getting by, eating healthy foods and I really don’t miss the foods that cause me pain and I’m keeping my weight steady. I’m lucky I don’t have a problem with diarrhoea but I do get niggly pains when I eat something I shouldn’t, so now I just avoid those foods. I wish hospitals would give better dietary advice, there’d be a lot less people posting on this forum if they did. Hope you continue to get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.