20 years on omeprazole...need help coming off!!

Posted , 56 users are following.

Hi, 

I'm 47 and have been taking omeprazole for the best part of 20 years. I recently discovered that the recommendation (by those wonderful/caring people at the pharmaceuticals!) is 14 days so yep, really need to come off em!!

Originally diagnosed with reflux oesophogatis (probably didn't spell that correctly!) and was told the valve that stops acid rising was damaged (too much smoking, drinking, and spicy food in my 20s) I have already reduced to 10mg quite some time ago and would really like any tips on coming off them for good.

I have a constant irritation in my stomach probably due to not digesting food properly, ringing in my ears, bloating/distension, depression/constant suicidal thoughts, and I also get acne/roscea etc- all of which I believe are connected to the imbalances caused by omeprazole.

Its also worth mentioning that I have NO FAITH WHATSOEVER in doctors whom I firmly consider to be glorified drug pushers for the pharmaceutical mafia. Yes that may well be a sweeping generalisation but I have yet to meet one who does not fit that description so I make no apologies for that whatsoever. Having said that I did once have a lovely doctor who, the day before he retired after 40 years, told me he was completely  disillusioned and ashamed of his profession and that I should always look into natural 'alternatives' before taking the "rubbish that we give you" (bless him!)

I am also on a very low budget having lost a lot of work lately so need affordable suggestions if at all possible.

Thanks in advance :-)

4 likes, 105 replies

105 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I took it for 15+ years before getting off of it following some of the guidelines offered by folks on this site. And like others, I can confirm that when I told my GI doctor about getting off of it, he said there were no problems with taking 40mg of omeprazole as long as it was only once a day. Anyway, I succeeded by acquiring a 20 mg prescription, then alternating between the two dosages every day for a week, then taking the 40 mg only every third day, eventually getting to just one 40 mg dosage per week. After that, began alternating between 20 mg dosage and no dosage every other day, gradually weaning myself off the stuff. I did find that DGL licorice has seemed to help, especially before breakfast and morning coffee, also began to drink a cup of lemon water first thing every morning. Took me about 2 months to get totally off of omeprazole, and have had no subsequent problems. I keep Tums handy just in case, but have probably used them no more than twice during the withdrawal period. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hello. I've been on omeprazole generic OTC 20 mg for 8 years now, doctor recommended. Heartburn is so intense any time I have ever forgotten to take the daily dose. I really need help coming off. I know this stuff has bad long term effects. Is there a 10 mg dose out there I could find to taper down? I'm gonna try the calcium and magnesium and lemon water and probiotics. Hoping it works!
    • Posted

I've just come off them applecider vinegar is good if you can take it I'm going more for the home remedys then medicine now as I have been feeling ill for years now and after test coming back negative i think it's the omlipazone that's doing it

• Posted

Read the book, "Killing Me Softly From Within".  It will help you quit eating acidic foods which only makes the acid reflux worst.  After doing that, I have eliminated FODMAPS from my diet.  You can research FODMAPS on-line.  I had never heard or it, but there is lots of info out there.  I have now rid myself of the gas, bloating and bellyache.  I looked like I was 6 months pregnant with a very hard stomach.  Now I have a relatively flat stomach which moves in it I poke it with my finger.  All of this has helped by stomach after three week, but a still have spells of heartburn especially in the afternoon.  Been on these drugs for 20 years.  Getting off is hell.  I take a different drug at night but the one I am working to get off is the omeprazole 40 mg.  My gastro did suggest we get off and I am trying. 
    • Posted

Hi I've been off them a wk now and it is hell but I'm sticking to it ..people say it will only take a mth before I feel better so I'm going through with it all ...I've been on them for ten years

• Posted

I too was on it for about 30 yrs; I believe it caused my osteoporosis.  So I wiened my self off over a 3 month period.  (do not stop all at once).  My salvation:  Kirkland Acic Controller - max strength 2x a day, plus a Pepcid Complete as needed. I am better and my Osteoporosis is retreating.
    • Posted

Did you take it frequently in those 30 years, if yes how much did you take? Did you also experience any sides? I'm on 20mg sometimes 40 mg and it seems that I'll have to take it for life...
    • Posted

I was in 2omg 2xs a day for 20 years then 40 2xs aday last 5 years. I have severe osteoporosis. I want off. O been weaning off for ,3 months. I can't get off all the way. I take 29 mg every 3 Rd day and 40mg of famotidine at night. Had to up the prosecutor to 2o Every other day and im still sick to my stomach most days. Maybe famotidine isn't enough but I should be able to go without any prosecution by now..

• Posted

Prilosec not prosecutor. Lol. These phones.
  • Posted

Mark, I have been on omeprazole for over 20 years, 40mg/day and went off it 11 days ago. I drink 3 glasses(8oz) of Buttermilk aday, no acid reflux and digestion is the best in years. I decided to find a way off after seeing a class action lawsuit ad on TV for people taking omeprazole.
    • Posted

Hi I just came off these a wk ago and feel pain but I'm not going to go back on them I'm going to try my hardest to fight this as i feel like this is why I have been so ill ..

• Posted

How did you feel coming off it I will try what you did ...what was the reason you were on this for I have a hi hatus hernia
  • Posted

I have been on omleprazone for 10 years and have decided to come off them it's only been four days now I've been off them but the sharp stabbing feeling in my chest under my breasts is terrible I was wondering if you got this feeling .It's day 5 I've been off them tomorrow was just wondering how long this pain will last before I start feeling better again

• Posted

I was forced to wien myself off as it caused my osteoperosis.   I was successful.  The key is doing it slowly..  for me 6 months.  I opened each capsul and reduced the beads  by about 15% for a week or so...  and kept it going until I was taking 3 beads per day.  Meantime I take Acid Controller, Kirkland product (Costco)   it works!
    • Posted

Hi I just came off them a wk ago ..I don't want to start now again to take them symptoms are bad but after a wk I don't want to star again and go on them what did you go on them for I have a Hurnia

• Posted

Sounds like the best way to do it.  I take the tablet, and have found a similar way to taper with them.  The whole process will take 2-4 months depending on my response to each reduction.  It sounds like I'm not going to get out of complete discomfort, but just so I'm not miserable, I think I can do this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.