20 years on omeprazole...need help coming off!!

Posted , 56 users are following.

Hi, 

I'm 47 and have been taking omeprazole for the best part of 20 years. I recently discovered that the recommendation (by those wonderful/caring people at the pharmaceuticals!) is 14 days so yep, really need to come off em!!

Originally diagnosed with reflux oesophogatis (probably didn't spell that correctly!) and was told the valve that stops acid rising was damaged (too much smoking, drinking, and spicy food in my 20s) I have already reduced to 10mg quite some time ago and would really like any tips on coming off them for good.

I have a constant irritation in my stomach probably due to not digesting food properly, ringing in my ears, bloating/distension, depression/constant suicidal thoughts, and I also get acne/roscea etc- all of which I believe are connected to the imbalances caused by omeprazole.

Its also worth mentioning that I have NO FAITH WHATSOEVER in doctors whom I firmly consider to be glorified drug pushers for the pharmaceutical mafia. Yes that may well be a sweeping generalisation but I have yet to meet one who does not fit that description so I make no apologies for that whatsoever. Having said that I did once have a lovely doctor who, the day before he retired after 40 years, told me he was completely  disillusioned and ashamed of his profession and that I should always look into natural 'alternatives' before taking the "rubbish that we give you" (bless him!)

I am also on a very low budget having lost a lot of work lately so need affordable suggestions if at all possible.

Thanks in advance :-)

4 likes, 105 replies

105 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have deleted a comment further up this discussion as it was just a "rant" about doctors and included a website link.

While these forums are an open discussion area and posts are user's own opinions we will not allow continuing "rant" style posting whether pro or anti conventional or alternative medicine and the views were expressed in the original post.

As a by the way if it is of any help there is a Reflux Oesophagitis group here https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/reflux-oesophagitis-1969 that has active discussions.

Regards,

Alan

Emis Moderator

• Posted

Alan. It was not a rant. It was a carefully considered opinion and it is utterly disgusting that this type of censorship is being allowed to happen on a site that claims to encourage open discussion. Alan, are you a doctor by any chance? Are you offended by justified and totally reasonable comments that dispute the approaches of allopathic medicine and in your eyes does labelling them a 'rant' simply give you the authority to censure such opinions? Or is this simply another rant Alan and will this opinion also be censured?
    • Posted

Alan. Also the link you mentioned was not used to promote anything and was in the context of a conversation I had with a particularly closed minded and arrogant doctor. Does that really justify this type of censorship? 
    • Posted

Hi Mark,

I am neither a doctor nor have an opinion either way nor was I personally offended.

What I do know is posts including statements such as "doctors are only in it for profit" and are "drug pushers" do raise the hackles of users who are believers in "conventional" medicine and therefore comments such as these inevitably lead to arguments in the forums. I have no problem with you expressing your views but please do not use terms like that.

The issue is and has been on countless occasions in these forums that views such as these are repeatedly posted by some users in response to users who simply come here for straight advice and do not want to have "anti" opinions forced on them. This also works the other way. I am not suggesting you would be doing this but I am just trying to avoid yet another pro vs anti medicines argument. Re the website - the issue is not mentioning them in general/passing but as it was "hot" I couldn't have allowed the post above any way.

I hope this helps but please do send me a PM if you want to raise any other points rather than disrupt your discussion.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

I am sorry Alan. I have been a moderator on a site myself and I understand and respect the fine line you have to tread sometimes so I totally get where you are coming from. Also I'm coming off omeprazole and feel pretty awful so not at my best. Thanks, Mark
  • Posted

Well I just got back from the doctors (a new one) and I have to say that she was absolutely fantastic!! Not once did she dismiss my concerns at being on omeprazole for 20 years (she thought it was ridiculous) and was totally sympathetic, nay empathetic when I discussed my depression with her (told me she has suffered with it herself) Has agreed to help me on MY terms (which include me being willing to receive help and advice etc), didn't rush me whatsoever and has booked a series of appointments and tests for both my physical and mental health (have some issues/concerns regarding long term side effects/damage from omepeazole). Very impressed indeed and even a little humbled (although I still have no doubts whatsoever about the nature profit before people nature of Big Pharma.)

She even understood and recommended the use of nutrition/supplements (including probiotics) and even understood/shared my concerns regarding candida and h pylori which pretty much blew me away after my previous dealings with doctors etc! 

Am having blood tests etc and being checked out for osteoporosis etc etc.

Am just wary of potential labels on the mental health side of things but am feeling less angry and much more optimistic today :-)

• Posted

Hey Mark, sounds like you found yourself a winner!  Is she single? :-)
    • Posted

Hey, I don't know...and would be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind!! :-D
    • Posted

So glad you have found a helpful doctor Mark.  I do hope that from now on you will receive all the help you need.  Keep us updated.
    • Posted

Mark did you just come off them or did you do it gradually .I've been off a wk now after taking them for 10 years for a hurnia and acid reflux and in pain but I do not want to start and take them again after a wk of not been on them

• Posted

Did she mention anything about Omeprazole depleting you of Vitamin B12? I've all sorts of symptoms which suggest I could be low. Blood test shows lower end of normal. Had no idea Omeprazole did that. Took it for 10 years!

• Posted

It's very common for omeprazole to cause low Vitamin B12. Stomach acid is needed for your your body to absorb B12 from meat sources. A supplement or enriched cereal with added B12 should help.

• Posted

I cannot give you a suggestion, Mark, but just to say you have done well to last on this medication.  I lasted 10 days!!!  Gave me terrible agitation.  I did a yellow card as that will hopefully help future users.  Like you say doctors and pharmacists no help.  I was on anti depressants for over 20 years and my doctor encouraged me to come off them last year.  Now been a year since I stopped.

Have you been to a Natural Health Store and asked for their suggestions as to what could help.  They advised me to try peppermint capsules, and somebody recommended peppermint tea, as that can help with our digestive tract.  

Medication should not give us suicidal thoughts, but many do.  Even anti depressants can give that side effect.  You need to come off the Omeprazole and find an alternative.  You are going through so much, and I am so sorry.  I was told I had gastritis, but had no pain, but constant nausea.  An ultrasound showed no growths or anything sinister.  I did go back to doctor for pills for nausea, and they have no side effects.  I expect you take all the usual things like most of us, Gaviscon etc.  You have had to put up with your problem for many years, like me and my depression and anxiety.  Like you say you have been taking Omeprazole for far too long.  Did you go back to your doctor to discuss, or really fed up with what they dish out?:

Hope you get some good and helpful suggestions here.  Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks Anne, have been reading a fabulous and extremely well researched book by the very knowledgeable Martie Whittekin. Its called 'Natural Alternatives to Nexium, Maalox (etc, all omeprazole) and other acid blockers'. Is really helpful and can't recommended it enough.

Am back at doctors tomorrow and am feeling optimistic as she appeared to be open minded and really willing to help in a non-pharmarceutical way which is promising!

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi mark, I read about the helpful doctor you saw, and what a huge relief that must be for you.  Getting some positive help at last, really good news.  Let us know how yo9u got on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.