2015 is going to be the year to sort myself out!

Posted , 3 users are following.

At the moment I am overweight (105Kg). Am on a bucket load of meds due to Hodgekins Disease in my teen years, anti-depressants for feeling low, and a blood pressure medication cocktail. A few years ago I ran 2 half-marathons and A full marathon, however, since being diagnosed with hypertension and trying different types I have been left unable (very difficult) to maintain any cardiovascular excercise apart from walking. My first step is to come off the Sertraline which is killing my motivation. Obviously I can't come off the hypertension meds until I lower my weight and get my BP down a bit. Going to target myself to walking at least 5k every day to start with. Here are the meds I'm on, if anyone has any experience of which of these are stopping my ability for vigorous excercise, then opinions will be gratefully received.

Sertraline 50mg

doxazosin 8mg twice daily

lansoprazole 30mg twice daily

levothyroxine sodium 100 mcg

penicillin 500mg twice daily

valsartan 320mg

amlodipine 5mg

spironolactone 25mg

Wish me luck!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wishing you lots of luck.  Keep motivated. We only live once try to enjoy everything even the small things and each day think of something positive about yourself.  Keep us posted on the progress
  • Posted

Hi Craig. Just seen your post on the summary sheet, I must have missed it originally.

So, at just over a week since you posted your item I have to ask, how is it going?

Your cocktail of drugs is quite extensive and I can only sympathise with you as I am only on 2 drugs, ramipril and simvastin. I hate taking just these two! You were obviously fit enough to do some distance running but I guess at approx 16stone that would be difficult now although not impossible. Set realistic targets Craig. Ease off those foods you know are bad for you. If you drink alcohol, stop. If you smoke, stop. Get back into your exercise regime and walking is very good. Margaret was right when she said about enjoying small things. Every single day you will see something that had the potential to make you feel good......with me its either family, friends or stuff I see when I am out walking (or fishing!)

Please keep us posted Craig as it would be nice to hear that you have reduced meds.

• Posted

Thank you for your posts and encouragement. I have lost 4lb last week with a sensible diet. Dont smoke or drink. After being on 25mg of setraline (half dose) I have no side-effects but feel great. I feel emotion coming back, gaining motivation to do the things I enjoy, and work! Still lacking energy but will address that when I get a bit more weight off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.