20cm Dermoid cyst

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been having on off pain in my stomach for quite some time now, so I finally decided to get it checked out.

The pain is sometimes dull like the feeling you have when you need a wee and it's sometimes really sharp and unbearable.

Anyway, I first went to my local GP on the 1st of May and with the symptoms I decribed he first thought I had IBS (Changes in bowel movements, lower abdominal pain, tiredness etc) but after feeling my stomach he thought I was 24 weeks pregnant and wanted to do an ultrasound, this was a bit of a shock as I'm only 23 and don't feel ready for kids, however he couldn't find a heartbeat so sent me for an emergency referral with the Gynecologist. 

My first apointment was on the 8th of May, the Dr examined my stomach and then did an internal. He immediaetly suspected an ovarian cyst as I had a pelvic mass right up to my umbilicus. He called for a blood test which was done the same day, results came back normal, an MRI Scan (20th May) and an ultrasound (09th June). My case was then discussed in two MDT meetings, they wanted to do another CT scan but decided against this because of my age and the risks it involves. I'm not entirely sure why my case was discussed in an MDT meeting but I can only assume it was because of the size. He is almost certaintly sure it's not cancerous because of my age and the type of cyst it is.

Anyway, the outcome was that I have a very large 20cm Dermoid cyst on my left ovary and a small one on my right ovary, he said he is going to leave the one on my right side until the left one has been removed. He has decided on a laparotomy due to the size and the fact that it's dermoid (fatty fluids can leak with a laparoscopy and cause scarring) he said he will need to cut a vertical incision because of how high up it is and he will need to remove my left ovary.

My main concern at the moment is with them removing one of my ovaries, what are the chances of having kids afterwards? and is it likely they will need to remove the other one as there is a cyst on it? 

What is the recovery time like? how long should I expect to be in hospital for and recovering at home? I'm also a bit worried about the scar, what are peoples experiences with this? 

I have my pre op booked in for the 15th of July, the nurse said the operation has to be within 12 weeks of the pre op and the doctor said he has marked me down as a priority, so thinks it will be done pretty quickly... but what is the waiting time usually like? I'm a bit worried that it is just going to continue to grow and cause me more problems. The doctor said it's like carrying around a 6 and a half month fetus haha.

Sorry for the long winded question, I just wanted to make sure I said everything haha! Thanks smile

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That is quite standard I think. I had to ring on day. Then they rang me about 8am and asked me to go in. I took fem fresh wipes with toiletries as not easy to wash for couple days and you can take them to the loo and freshen up. Big knickers a size bigger than you normally wear, found them really comfy. Eat lots roughage and fruit first few weeks to help with going to the loo as did not want to be straining (eek all you need) xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.