20mg felodipine and 10mg ramipril a day side affects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been taking 10mg of ramipril and 15mg of felodipine since March but my bp is still around 190/120 my doctor wouldn't give me any other medication until I had 24 monitor done so I had the monitor on last Tuesday and the reading showed bp was far to high so he increased my felodipine to 20mg a day along with 10mg of ramipril but since the increase I have been getting headaches along with my face burning up n a burning sensation in my legs

Has any one else had these side affects?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you read the notes that come with each of the pills? I don't take a calcium channel blocker [felodipine] myself but have an idea that at least some of the symptoms you mention could be attributable to that. Side effects of Ramipril are usually a nasty dry cough.  Have you asked for that to be changed to Losartan or one of the other 'artans'? They don't appear to have side effects.
  • Posted

My husband had similar blood pressure to yours, and needed to take the time to 'test out' 5 different combinations of meds because of ineffectiveness or side effects or both.

​This took about 4 months till the 'best' combo of 4 meds was found.

​Meanwhile he started a weight loss program and daily walking, took licquid herbal hawthorne, and in month 5 had his meds dosages lowered.

​He then went on a product called Cardio for Life - full of nitric oxide precursors and lots of Co-enzyme Q10, magnesium, and more....another slight reduction. We continue to take this product.

​Are you taking advil? as that can raise the BP - especially the systolic, as happened to me. A quick change to add in candestartin brought the systolic right down. 3 weeks of daily walking, and I've decreased my dosage by 50%.

​Have also (for fun) tried beet root juice with 3 friends now. 2 glasses a day has reduced everyone's BP - BUT - not to be taken if you have a problem with kidney stones (inceases oxalic acid as do some other red and green juices).

​Your doctor does not sound very co-operative - perhaps a second opinion?

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks for reply I'm going to go back tomz and see what he says about changing meds if he doesn't agree to it I'm going to see another doctor see what they suggest my doctor says he never seen bp so high in some one who is 26 years old an that he carnt do much more for me
    • Posted

So what does your doctor expect you to do then? I should try and get one of the other doctors in the practice if I was you. This guy sounds awful !
    • Posted

I rang my doctor today about the side affects he told me to carry on with the meds n see if they go away over time if not then to drop 5mg of felodipine n only take 15mg where is the logic in that he up it to 20mg because 15mg wasn't working I think it's time for a change in doctor
  • Posted

Sorry I forgot to mention previosly that it might be very helpful to have your kidney function and heart function looked at by your doctor, as these 2 areas  connect closly with blood pressure.
    • Posted

Hi yes I have had both checked kidneys are fine and my heart came back as enlarged on the left side but my doctor said this will go back normal once my bp is under control I get the feeling he isn't really that bothered
  • Posted

I couldn't agree more - hopefully you will find one who will send you for more in-depth examination of your heart and a far more comprehensive explanation to yourself - and refer you to a humble cardiologist who cares. Godspeed and best of luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.