20mg to 30mg of citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I posted about a wk and half saying my doc was going to increase my meds from 20mg to 30mg, so I took my first 30mg dose last Monday the the 9th November.

I was up and dwn last week had a few days of crying hysterically, wasn't so bad over the weekend and this wk I am just feeling dwn still, didn't sleep Monday night so went back to gp yesterday he gave me prescription for sleeping tabs (which I dnt want to take), I have no problem falling asleep but will wake around 1 - 2am so I took a xanex last night and it helped me to get back to sleep.

My doc is referring my to psychiatrist, which I am very nervous about as I have never been to one before, I am about 11 1/2 wks on cit and 1 wk1/2 of that on 30mg, anxiety has eased a bit but depression is still very much ther, just feel so scared I want my life back for my kids as I am not enjoying them at all at the moment I just feel lost and hopeless, is it early days on 30mg r perhaps citroplam is not for me anymore, can anyone relate this long into taking cit?? Xx

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Citalprom does take time to kick, it has done miracles for me u will soon notice a change , if l was u l would take the sleeping tablets, only when u work up and cannot sleep.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Richardt, I really hope and pray that I get the same benefits from cit that you have got from it..

Thanks again x

• Posted

So sorry to hear this. I know how u feel with feeling so depressed where there's no enjoyment in your kids. I work with although I havnt my own but I have been the same where I am not enjoying the usual funny and joy you get with kids. I'm on cit 2 weeks now and I still feel the anxiety is still so high n depression is still getting me down but I know they don't work over night.

Fingers crossed for you ! And everyone else struggling. 😚 Xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply smc187,

Yes it is like being in a different world from everyone else, watching people laugh and enjoy life, I find myself wishing I was someone else anyone but me and the thing is my life is good really apart from the normal stresses, there's no real reason for me being like this.

You are very early days yet and the first 2 weeks are the hardest, so hopefully you will see some improvement sn, here's hoping we both do xx

• Posted

Hi nicola

It is early days for the increased dose to kick in and I would give it a few weeks longer until you feel the benefit. I have been taking cit since June this year and increased my dose to 40mg about eight weeks ago. Although I'm less depressed I am no where near recovery. So next week I will change to a different med. I hear lots and lots of success stories on citalopram so I would hang in there. If you are no better in four weeks I would suggest seeing your doctor for a meds review. If you feel no better then please don't leave it months like I have. Especially with responsibility of children you need to have your health.

Lastly citalopram works wonders for most people. Just give it more time

Warmest wishes

Here if you need me xxx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for your reply, yes I will give it more time, I wish there was a quicker way of getting better it's very frustrating sometimes I feat the longet this goes on the further I am getting away from the old me, if that makes sense.

I was on cit for pnd for almost 6 years so I do know it works but I think it worked quicker for me last time but I can't really remember, I wish you the very best of luck with changing ur meds please keep me updated

Thanks again xx

• Posted

Hello there. I am so happy to read your post. I am on day 5 of taking citalopram and have never taken anything in the past. I am a cancer survivor and had MANY side effects from Chemo. The stomach ache, headache, foggy feeling and lack of concentration are scaring me. but everything I read says give it more time. I hope so. My medical anxiety is seriously ruining my life. 

• Posted

Kim,

chemo is awful but so worth it I found. Yes, give it more time X soon you,ll be out of that medical anxiety. I wish you well.

• Posted

Keep the faith Nicola I know that hard to hear I had a lot of spiked depression when first started thinking I was going backwards when I was getting better.

Regarding the sleep I would take something to help sleeping as sleep is important for this illness and reducing stress levels sleeping meds are not permanent but you need to get some sleep I used to take one and then try another night without and ease off just have them as a last alternative. Good luck with ap[pointment keep an open mind if anything they can offer some good techiques smile

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it, I think u are right about the sleep it does make everything worse and ur mind seems to work overtime at night..

My gp said she is referring me to a pysciatrist and a team, they will offer CBT and other therapies which I suppose can only be a good thing,

Thanking you again x

• Posted

Once you kinda get CBT it is a great method ! You can do it Nicola smile
  • Posted

A psychiatrist is a must to have on board for psychological issues. I have a neurologist and psychiatrist and depend on both for there knowledge and care. Get with asap and get the help you need. I myself making the change to Prozac from Celexa with citalpram as needed for sudden attacks. Don't give up and know you have help but must use it as well as all the advice here and there unique experiences with what they are taking. Each one of us is different.
    • Posted

Hi OreElect,

Thank you for your kind reply, I am hoping that the cit will kick in and I wnt have to change meds as the side effects of starting them were terrible for me.

I am going to try and look at going to pysciatrist as a positive, the very best of luck to you with your change of medication x

• Posted

Dear Nicola45014, I,m so sorry you,re feeling like this. You can look forward to going to a Psychiatrist. Although I,m only speaking generally about them ,having worked in a medical/ mental health system X having one as a neighbour X also having seen a couple personally, they,re people who cared enough to study for years to alleviate suffering.

I can,t advise re your meds but I had to try about five different antidepressants before finding one that worked, which was Citalapram. There is another called Escitalapram. So for some , it has been trialling several before finding one that suits.

Get yourself to the Psychiatrist X I wish you complete recovery.

Know that I,m writing this as a person currently engaged in withdrawing from Citalapram X doing it with great difficulty. But I acknowledge that it brought me from a bad place to a happy X stable place X kept me that way for years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.