20mg to 40mg - yuk!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Oh yuk!!

Well after 3/4 months (cant remember my heads a mess) of fluoxetine, my doc has doubled my dose to 40mg as I was starting to go down hill real fast, and had tried to do some stupid stuff last weekend as it all got a bit to much. I’ve only been on the 40mg for 5 days, but I feel so crap. I’ve spent the whole weekend in bed with really bad headache, feeling sick, dizzy, no appetite, not sleeping & like I’m about to pass out.

I’ve come into work as I have so much to do & don’t get sick pay, but I feel so crap, just took a bunch of painkillers & red bull to see if it can help sort me.

I know I have to just ride this out as I want to feel better but dam its hard!!

Doc was lovely, the one I usually see about all this had phoned in sick so had to see someone else which gave me mini panic attack, but she was lovely & understanding (cried with the relief of it) and because my counsellor is off for 2 months (having op) the doc has said I can go in once a week to see her as extra support & if need her more can phone or have an extra appt & she’s gonna tell the reception to give me appointment if I call – couldn’t believe it, thought she would be judgmental at what I’d did/been doing to self & think oh no another crazy person.

Sorry, babbled on a bit there, just so relieved to have a nice doctor who is so understanding even tho I have these horrible side effects.

Hope everyone else is doing ok xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hi-me.

Good to hear that you had such a positive response from your GP, though sorry that it was necessary to increase your dose.

I had mine increased to 40mg just over a month ago and after a week or so I was so tired I spent most of a weekend in bed. I then levelled out a bit, then crashed spectacularly after 3 weeks but have been better for the past 10 days or so.

Most of the side effects haven't changed much since starting fluoxetine at all. I get very sweaty at night which is quite revolting. I get pretty twitchy at times but not sure if that's the drugs or a symptom of the depression itself.

In the last 10 days I have barely self-harmed (from it happening almost every day), have had fewer black thoughts and have been calmer and have even said \"no\" to doing certain things instead of doing them, stressing and crashing into the darkness again - so I feel it is beginning to enable me to re-take control of my life. Have various appts. this coming week so I will be able to discuss this with my GP, psychiatrist and nurse. Still a long way to go, I think, but the start of the upward journey hopefully.

Try and be as gentle on yourself as you can be while your body and mind get used to the increased dose - I know you feel you have to be at work, as did I, but try and cut corners elsewhere for the time being without feeling guilty (I know, that's the tricky bit).

Good luck with things.

Gretchel

• Posted

my 20mg dose was doubled on monday so its only been 5 days but im so desperate for them to start working,does it work? How long does it take before i notice a difference? My sadness and feelings of desperation are overwhelming and i just dont see any light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Posted

Hi,

I was on 20mg and then upped to 40mg after 5 weeks. I have now been on them 9 weeks in total. They started kicking in about 8 weeks. A long time I know. It also helps not to drink any alcohol as this cancel's them out.

It's awful to keep waiting. But once they started to work, they are good. That's my experience anyway.

Chin up.

• Posted

i cant see past the end of the day never mind 2 months,i know it all takes time but the waiting is hell.I have terrible thoughts about how much i just like to die and it makes me feel so guilty because im a single mum to an amazing 11 year old son and i shouldnt be thinking like this.im falling apart and theres nothing i can do to stop it.
  • Posted

I really do understand how hard it is to wait. It is hell and the waiting seems to go on forever. BUT there is light at the end. Can you talk to someone? What about the Samaritans? Sometimes just being able to say what you're feeling can help to lift the load a bit. If you can't do that, what about writing it all down? Either here or another forum. There are quite a few for depression. Just unloading from your head might give you a bit of a break. Also you would recieve some support and it's always great to know you are not alone.
  • Posted

Hiya,

Re: the thoughts about wanting to die, you should tell your GP about this as a side effect of this med is self harm & suicudal thoughts (wonderful eh!) and it says to tell your gp staright away.

I posted this on a new topic, but thought would add it here too, as it's to do with this:

After approx 7/8 weeks of being on 40mg (upped from 20 as were starting to not work) I feel very odd.

I’m sort of fake ok, but not ok really deep down – if that makes any sense. I feel so numb, cant cry when I need to, have no energy for anything, not sleeping well, no libido (sorry if tmi), feels like my skin is crawling I just feel nothing but miserable & tired & having thoughts I don’t want to be having.

Hope they start working better soon!

• Posted

[quote:5324318d1b=\"startingover\"]I really do understand how hard it is to wait. It is hell and the waiting seems to go on forever. BUT there is light at the end. Can you talk to someone? What about the Samaritans? Sometimes just being able to say what you're feeling can help to lift the load a bit. If you can't do that, what about writing it all down? Either here or another forum. There are quite a few for depression. Just unloading from your head might give you a bit of a break. Also you would recieve some support and it's always great to know you are not alone.[/quote:5324318d1b]

Wot's with u? Just on here helping people?

I hope that you are OK

I used to be like u, just trying to help others - it's a kind of way to repress ur own horrible feelings.

I wanted to thank u for being so kind.

I wrote a novel u know - really let it all out, in another thread, and i lost it all. When I tried to post it, it came up 'critical error'

but I still want to say, start again - thank u x

good luck to everyone - all those feelings are so sh** - iv been there, i still feel like that

we need to build a barrier against hurt - that men can not penetrate, especially if they are hurting their kids eh

I hope you will be OK

Im actually knackered

Mum is being sectioned again as we speak - she's uncontrollable - an 81 year old woman recking rooms - isnt it a pity we dont learn about different types of dementia at school

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.