21 weeks post TKR operation , leg and back still sore

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Well I'm just over 5 months post operation now and I've been back at work full time for a while...I'm finding after I walk for a while that my lower back and glutes are so sore. It's only the side of the operated leg .my knee is still painful and I'm still taking pain meds but it's the whole leg that is sore . I understand that the leg is obviously weak and needs strengthening but it's driving me nuts . I had a massage on Tuesday which really helped but after a day of normal activity my back was sore and stiff again ...is this normal ? Anyone else have this ?

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

I’m 12 weeks post opt and went back to work this week and yes, am having the same problem! I have a desk job, so it’s from sitting. But what helps is getting up once every hour and stretching, walking! I still go to therapy so my therapist will do a periformis release which helps tremendously. 
  • Posted

Hi Penny

I am 2yrs 4 months post bilateral tkr’s and my knees are good.  GEt  bit stiff if I sit too long or when I first get up but otherwise ok.  My lower back though, is another problem.  I cannot walk that far or stand still for too long before my back starts aching really badly.  I’ve been told it’s because I walk differently now and my back was use to two bung knees.  I still take painkillers out of need.  I’ve read quite a few people on here, complain of sore backs after the op but then there are more that say they did have back ache but have got much better.  No two people’s recovery is the same so don’t think you have to live with it.  Some have mentioned Chiropractors helping but I’m not game  letting one pull my leg lol.  I’m not the fittest of people to be honest.  I put on a lot of weight when I had to give up work because of my knees.  I’m yet to lose it again because of my damn back. Sigh!  I read that others are walking miles and cycling and being better than before.   I didn’t have physio again once I left hospital.  I was told I didn’t need it. Hmmmm! 

You being only 5 months post op means you still have a lot of healing and adjusting to do.  It can take a year or more to become good.  Don’t get disheartened.  You’re doing well being back at work.  Just rest up when you get home and don’t push yourself too hard.  I’m sure you’ll get there.

Best wishes

sue xx

• Posted

Duh...  Your quads, glutes and core have atrophied and are dead...period.  This takes many months of work to rebuild all that strength.  Get with the program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

These are the muscles that support the knee.  Right now, you're using other muscles to compensate.  Don't do that.  It will make your gait change and could cause other problems like sciatica...very common.  You need to strengthen those key muscle groups.  Commit to the work.  That's why a full recovery takes a year.

• Posted

Thank you Chico for your reply.. I get the feeling this is long haul .....I go swimming and am surprised I can breast stroke and I walk around 6 miles . I was under illusion that I was doing enough but obviously I haven't been ....I got to get my arse to the gym !

• Posted

It's a full year's recovery...period.  And yes, the gym work is mandatory for your quads, glutes and core....

It takes a while to rebuild all that strength but it sets you up for mastering stairs again...which cannot be done without the strength rebuild.  What???  You thought this was easy?  Silly wabbit...

• Posted

Good simple exercise in pool is just putting leg out to the back, straight legged, lots of times. With a float on even better as increases resistance. That's a good one for the buttocks! This is the one which i have personally found very helpful.

No need to go on overdrive...it's time too, which cannot be made to move faster. Just keep a bit of a regular exercise routine. Good for us anyway! Quality not quantity.

• Posted

Penny...  Jen's right about the water therapy.  FANTASTIC!  First, get clearance from your doc.  I've heard people getting the OK to submerge the knee anywhere from two to six weeks post-op.  No idea why there's so much difference between docs.  Check with the doc first.

Second, I wasn't lucky with the knee...no therapy pools anywhere around me.  However, I did use one extensively in New Jersey when I had my hip done in '09.  Started 10 days after surgery.  Five hours a day in the pool and gym, six days a week.  Complete hip rehab in SIX WEEKS!  WAIT...that's NOT going to happen with the knee because you can't push it like a hip.  BUT water therapy is the most excellent way to do the exercises without them being weight bearing.

Third...  I had the rare luck of having an expert in the family.  My daughter Kate is a graduate Nutritionist from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, plus being a personal trainer for many years certified by the American Council on Sports Medicine plus holding sixteen certifications from the American Council on Exercise.  Total pro.  She spent a full day with me in the pool charting out my complete pool exercise routine.

If you don't know someone like that, it may be worth a few bucks hiring someone with experience in knee rehab to spend some time (2 hours?) with you in the water planning out a program tailored just for you.  Kate's gym program is here...

...but having someone in the pool, showing you the exercises and correcting your form would be ideal.  Geez...wish I had a pool around here for my TKR.  That would have been great.  If you're going to do this, do it right.  You will progress faster and with more confidence in the hands of a pro who knows knee rehab.  Think about it...

• Posted

Yes,but fine now. Exercise helps....now i realise I have muscles in my backside! I think it is maybe to do with the changes in the way we move! 😀

• Posted

Gluteus maximus...glutes.  Probably named after an old Roman emperor who sat on his butt all day...

I've used a specific machine at the gym to work on them...very important!!!  Can also be done at home with a set of exercise bands that contain a door stop to secure one band end.  Attach the band to your ankle...push and pull in both directions reversing you body to and then away from the door stop.  Feel the burn!!!

• Posted

I present you with Roman Emperor Gluteus Octavius Maximus (69-70 AD).  Sat on his butt all day and night.  Died at his own hand after a severe and uncontrollable case of hemorrhoids...
    • Posted

Looks like a nice man. Are you sure he is not a knee surgeon, as he has very strong arms!

😀😁😃

• Posted

Back in those days, I'm sure people with knee problems just drank a lot of wine and died by 40...

• Posted

I'm 5 months post op and I had my first day back at work yesterday. My main concern was would I be able to fit in my uniform after all this time😂. I was surprised to see that I could and there was more room than before. I only did 4 hours and that mainly consisted of chatting to colleagues I hadn't seen since the op. I felt like the new girl just starting a new job. I still get pain in my knee and I've just started with pain in my lower back so I guess this is normal. I can now manage stairs going up but I have to hold on to come down. I know I've still got a lot of muscle to get back my quad has reduced in size by an inch......that's a lot of muscle to regain so I know it's going to take a while. Things can only get better x

• Posted

Congratulations!

The new knee slowly becomes bionic!

How is your other one?

I find that's the one which cramps my style!

You are an inspiration with all your walking...I haven't done as many steps as you have each day!

Hope it all goes well at work!

• Posted

I have no issues with my other knee it was just my left one that got injured doing Taekwondo many years ago. I've started doing walking netball which I love, I never thought I'd play a team sport again, I even stayed behind and had a go at normal netball, I can do a funny type of jog but I can feel how weak my quad is when I try to do this. People that go to the netball have noticed that I'm walking better and it's only going to improve. Work was very steady I just sat at a computer most of the time I was there, I didn't do any clinical work X 

• Posted

just a just a bit of metal there Chico 😂😂 your back must have been in a right state😱

• Posted

What an array of fixings!

As long as they don't put a bolt through your head you'll be fine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.