21 wks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone! I'm 21 wks post op for broken right ankle due to drunk driver hitting me . I have a plate and 6 screws but also a bone bruise on that knee so beginning to walk is difficult. I've only been to pt 4 times so far. They are stretching the ankle and ultrasound to knee. My big toe is still numb and foot is very painful. Swells quite a bit. Pt wants me in a shoe but my foot is too swollen for that let alone I'll have to buy a new pair due to walking differently from plate. Anyone know how long it takes for the pain to go away? I was very depressed recently because I'm getting exhausted from the entire situation. My body hurts everywhere so any advice or uplifting words are so welcomed! Thanks in advance! Best healing to you all! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I'm a almost 26 weeks and walking working but still painful at times by end of the day I'm shattered but grateful to still be able to walk and work. I'm sorry the depression has got to you. But pain does that. I hope you have family and friend support. I found I was alone far too much and then the rest of the world slept while I was on my own unable to sleep  , pain and medication side effects gave constipation and then taparse and hives had me awake for weeks. This site was my salvation and showed me the normality of injury. I can only wear scetchers and some days wear slippers at work. I still can't wear anything over the insision site.  Happy healing.  

• Posted

I'm sorry you were so alone in all this! I have family here but it's my 18 yr old that has my back at all times! Hubby is a truck driver so she's been my caretaker for the most part as well as my driver. I don't work due to having bipolar disorder so this is where the depression came in! I haven't had a deep depression  for over a yr and this one was working hard st killing me. The pain, the accident and the court hearing with the drunk driver became too much for me but thank god ive once again made it through STILL alive and fighting! It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who is this far out from surgery and still in pain and trying to walk.  I'm glad I didn't know it was going to take so damn long! Thanks for your support and kindness and I hope for full recovery for you!! 🙏🏼😇

• Posted

Hello Diana, I'm 29 weeks after a high intensity impact to my leg and ankle, from the X-ray last week it revealed that the ankle is still broken, I have issues with my knee, I'm awaiting an MRI next months to check out the both areas. The pins and plates are an issue for movement and the swelling continues, I'm wearing oversized crocks which I never thought I'd  succumb to wearing but it's been a game changer for me no longer have the hip and back pain which was due to wearing the moon boot for longer than I should,  I'm at times on both crutches depending on my knee but I mostly use the one crutch, I went to "healthy minds" group therapy for 6 weeks which help tremendously with my low moods, it helped me to improve my sleep, my negativity, my diet it's was another game changer for me. I experience pain and discomfort still but I really have manage to cut right down on the pain killers, the side effects were too much to bear, elevation is my  solace. It was important for me to take back control of my thoughts and behaviour patterns relating to my injury, I'm not so reactive and snappy any more, it's important for you to focus positively, plan and structure your week ahead and be sure to interject pleasure points like for instance going on date night with your partner, or in my case rejoining the  choir once a week, another game changer.  Don't let your situation get the better of you, getting back your life after what's happened to you needs effort so get all the positive help you can get. Bless ya! Get well soon. 

• Posted

Thanks! I'm sorry to hear that your ankle is still broken! They can see my fracture but the bones are healed together. I have bipolar disorder so this really spiked my depression but finally it has let go of it's grip on me!! Also I had court with the drunk driver and because I spoke at the hearing that too helped to let go of some things.  Now it's just focusing on getting my ankle to unlock and walking again. I'm thinking of buying myself some moccasins because with all this swelling still I don't see myself getting into s tennis shoe. My surgeon has me in my boot if I leave the house anyhow. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement and I wish you full recovery as well!!

• Posted

I hope they nail the drunks butt to the wall   My brother lost his leg broke both arms all ribs fracture to scull and busted up hands  had to close his business and yep all thanks drunk driver. He got 1 year licence suspension and a fine under first offenders. It's a joke he hot his licence back a month after my brother got to go home. 

• Posted

I went into court in my wheelchair, got up and hobbled to the stand in my boot and I was emotional on the way up. I spoke to him directly and he shed some tears. He apologized to me twice and I believe it was sincere. He has a young child and I basically told him that his choice affect his son and he needs to change his life. This was his 2nd offense and blood alcohol level was .284! After speaking the Judge said he hasn't been touched by such a statement in such a long time! He sentenced him a class h felony, 5 months jail, 3 yrs probation, 2yrs interlock ignition on registered vehicles, 2 yr license revoked, $2000 fine and he's been in treatment for 3 months. He can't go into liquor stores or taverns either during probation. The guy before him had 6 offense and got 3 months jail. He didn't hurt anyone but that's crazy 6 damn times! I'm very satisfied. On the way off the stand he apologized so I put my hand on his shoulder, cried and spoke to him in regards to changing his ways. Trust me, I got upset to the point where police came in the courtroom because I was loud. It's my hope that he changes his life. One less drunk on the road is always a good thing! I'm do sorry about your brother! I live in Wisconsin and this state is known for the alcohol consumption. Such a shame! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.