21 Year Old with Joint Pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm a 21 year old female and I've been having joint pain for about the past 2-3 years but it recently started getting worse & affecting more joints. Most of my joint pain is in my knees but it recently started in my shoulders, feet, and hands. The pain is the worst ache I've ever experienced and it happens both when I'm up and moving and also when I'm sitting or lying down. I've been putting off going to the doctor because I've mentioned it before to my doctor and she just kind of blew it off (because of my age) but it's gotten so painful lately that I feel like I need to figure something out now. I don't have any swelling or redness in my joints, just a severe aching pain. I am on omeprozole for GERD and I also have the impalanon birth control in my arm (not sure if that's relevant).

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Amber,

I can really relate to what you're going through. I was 21 when I was diagnosed with arthritis. I woke up to a swollen knee and painful feet. I went to my GP at the time and she told me it was due to walking in the snow which was laughable. The swelling continued for two months making it very difficult to walk, I went back and was ignored a second time so I took myself to A&E as a last resort and a referral was finally made to see a Rheumatologist. I had an MRI scan on my knee and prescribed Hydroxychloroquine. I had fluid drained from my knee and steroid injections. None of this worked, I had my knee drained a further three times with steroid injections. I was then prescribed Methotrexate. I was not informed of the side effects of the medication until doing research myself at which I was shocked to find at 21 anyone would

prescribe such a strong medication. While taking the medication it seemed to spread to my elbow and I was unable to straighten my arm. My knee continued to remain swollen and all the medication seemed to do was make feel very unwell. I looked ill, I felt sick and was always tired. I didn't feel as though anyone had explained what type of arthritis I had, the side effects of the medication I was put on or what the alternatives were.

I made the decision at 22 to take myself off all medication to see how I would get on. My elbow was the first to go back to normal. I could once again straighten it. The swelling in my knee decreased and no further fluid built on top of it. I am now 27 and no other joints have been affected, fluid has not build on my knee since. I've had a little swelling on the odd occasion over the years which has lasted a day or two after I have done excersise or a lot of walking.

I do question if I ever had arthritis and was I over treated.

I would recommend asking to see another GP or take yourself to an urgent care centre who will make a referral for you within 2 weeks. Unfortunately that was the only way I was taken seriously. But please do be careful what medications you start taking if any.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.