21 Year Old with Very High Blood Pressure (Required ER visit)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had high blood pressure ever since I was young, around 16, I went to cardiologist back then and everything was normal, my cardiologist suggested that the only reason my bp could be high is anxiety and I agree with him. I'm 21 right now, have going to the gym consistently for 4 years and I eat healthy for the most part, however, im currently on a caloric surplus right now trying to gain mass, consuming 3800 calories daily, exercising 3-5x a time a week, high-intensity weight training. Last year I had to go the ER because my bp shot up and I thought I was gonna have a stroke, I tried to not use medication but summer 2017 I started on lisinopril from which I had an allergic reaction and had trouble breathing and eating swallowing food, my physician put me on norvasc next and it was good except it made extremely sleepy so I swichted to metropolol, which im currently taking and I can feel the damage it's doing, I have serious acid reflux if I dont eat, I have ed now. I've done some research and it can damage the liver over time and maybe the kidneys and I'm only 21 I don't want to go the medication route anymore, I've added flax seeds to my diet adding more natural remedies soon, in the meantime should I get back on Norvasc or are there any other meds that won't damage my organs and are safe for long term and short term use?? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you can answer a few questions before others chime in. I wonder if weights can affect BP.

Do you have HBP in your family? How high is high? What dosages of lisinopril,norvasc and metropolol were you on? Did these drugs effectively normalize your BP? Are you taking meds for reflux?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, My grandfather has HBP and recently got surgery. it's usually 160-180/80-90 sometimes even higher, this is without meds. I was on 5mg of lisinopril, Norvasc 2.5-5 mg and currently on 25 mg of metoprolol. yes, they definitely normalized my bp but it was still high 140-150/70-80 sometimes even higher. no, I don't want to get on more meds as they have some major side effects over time.

I currently weight around 175 pounds, however sometimes I gain weight, rapidly sometimes when I increase my calories or lose weight due to diets, i have rebounds.

• Posted

Hello Moe,

​As Veewat indicated, Members need to know what your average BP is, i.e., Systolic and Diastolic, ergo, High Number over Lower Number.  High Number usually  increases due to Stress, Anxiety, Excess Weight and DURING Exercise.  Lower Number increases generally for other reasons.  Will watch for your response.  Take care!@

• Posted

intresting... i do stress a lot, very anxious without bp meds, not overweight but I'm planning on gaining more muscle

• Posted

it's usually 160-180/80-90 sometimes even higher, this is without meds. 140-150/70-80 sometimes even higher with meds

• Posted

Moe, Losartan Potassium is said by an excellent pharmacist to be the blood pressure medication about which he hears the least reports of side effects.   I have been taking it for several years after a couple of others caused unwanted, and sometimes unbearable, side effects.  I have very difficult to treat high BP and my renal consultant has, over the past few years, tried adding a second BP medication to the Losartan but all have had to be stopped due to their side effects.  With Losartan 50mg on its own, I have no discernible side effects apart from a slightly raised creatinine but this is considered acceptable by my renal consultant, so perhaps one you could consider Good luck!.
  • Posted

/ll definitely give it a try. should I buy it from Amazon? which brand are you using?
    • Posted

I’m using one by TEVA on prescription from my GP.  I  suggest you ask your doctor to prescribe it for you as a trial.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.