21 years old - loud tinnitus

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey,

So I'm 21 and I have a loud ringing in my left ear, mine is not actually the high pitch "white noise" others describe. It is relatively low pitch - the only thing I can say it is similar to is the ringing that house radiators sometimes make (if you have ever noticed that). I am not 100 percent sure but I think there is ringing in the other ear too- but very quiet.

I first got tinnitus when I was very young! I can't remember what age but I must have been about ten! I remember falling asleep with Harry Potter on in the background to mask it out - I went to the doctor but they weren't very interested. Anyway after a little while, it went a lot quieter! I hardly noticed it for the next 11 or so years.

Recently however, I woke up with very loud tinnitus- louder than when I was a child, I had to listen for it then but now it wakes me up!. It's heartbreaking and scary that I could have this noise in my ear for the rest of my life but it's something I just have to accept I guess?

It is definately driving me mad mind. And all I do to try and ignore it makes me think about it more so I expect that is making its worse 😳 There were a number of changes I made in my life when it all of a sudden got louder again ...

I changed my contraceptive pill- actually at first I just stopped taking it. I'm thinking about it now actually and I might try taking it again (I just thought that some random medications can ease it) maybe I'll try that pill again! See if it helps - not sure why it would though haha.

I also went through a lot of stress, I had been stressed a year before with an ex boyfriend who cheated on me - I get very emotionally involved in people and when things like that happen I get so stressed and my heart beats so much I can't feel my legs and stuff. Then a year later - Im stressed again almost to this level and it's very loud! So could be stress?

I also started exercising more

I also started taking vitamins that are supposed to be good for hair.

When I made all these changes though I was hoping to bettt myself! - I'm pretty certain stress is a factor but did anyone else make any lifestyle changes?

I hope that everyone suffering is coping ok, it's hard for me at 21 to have such a loud ringing- and know that there is not any treatment 😕

I've had this spout of loud ringing for about 2 months now

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I should also mention that i really don't tbh m it's caused by exposure to loud noises! I can't understand why it would be- I have always been very cautious of my ears since my brother also had tinnitus! (He did Listen to loud music though) - my dad has tinnitus too but he is a mechanic so loud noises is a cause for him... me though I have always been very cautious - I used to listen to music through earphones but on a level so low my friends always commented on how I could possibly hear it!

• Posted

From a very young age, and low pitch instead of high pitch, I am wondering if it is related to a vein or artery running near your ear.  I am not happy with your first doctor not showing interest.

Perhaps a revisit, this time to ENT, will be useful.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

when i went the first time he rubbed his fingers near my ear and asked if i could hear the noise the fingers made - which i could. and then told me i was fine. I got the impression he thought i shouldnt be there, it made me uncomfortable going back. i have booked an ENT appointment, but am having to wait 2 months before they see me, im slightly concerned because i feel it is getting louder- but mabe this is because i am aware of it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.