22 Days Post Surgery - How long will I need the pain meds?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 22 days post surgery.  This is the 3rd surgery for the left foot.  I have had 2 bunion removals on this foot about 30 years ago.  I started have pain in the ball of foot and tried a lot of different things to avoid surgery. Officially, it's called metatarsalgia.  It occurred because the 2nd surgery disproportionally shortened the 1st metatarsal bone putting all the pressure on the 2nd and 3rd metatarsal bones.   The solution was an osteotomy on the 2nd and 3rd metatarsal bones and the doctor also did another correction on the  big toe.  I had 2 screws in the big toe area from the 2nd surgery.  The doctor replaced one of those screws and added one to the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals.  

I was given hydrocodone after surgery but did not tolerate it well.  One day 3, I went into the doctors office for a bandage change.  He switched me to 50 mg of Demerol. 

I don't have to have the Demerol all the time at this point and have been trying move to Advil and Tylenol.  I have been able to use Advil and Tylenol for a day and then by the evening of the second day, I need something stronger.  

Can anyone give me an idea of when they were able to come off the narcotics comfortably?

Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Carrie

I have had a number of surgeries. This includes surgery for breast cancer. That included all the lymph nodes being removed.

Each time the medical staff have had the same advice.

Pain is the enemy, it is important for recovery to stay as pain free as possible. Without pain we move around more freely. This means everything including digestion and blood flow work as they should which helps with healing. Pain is also mood altering which also can restrict movement.

They also say it is harder to ease pain if you allow it to peak.

So my advice is, take what you need when you need it and don't worry about how much or how long. The drugs are helping you heal. Make sure you are using the correct drugs there are different types of pain. Most important perhaps, speak to the professionals.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.