22 year old female- diverticulitis?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I know its apparently quite rare to suffer from diverticulitis in your twenties but I've suffered with bowel issues my entire life (including being born with a sluggish bowel, and constant constipation throughout my childhood). So I feel as though my bowels are often straining now, even with looser (or more normal) stools, I still feel as though I have to strain to go most of the time. I’ve often wondered whether I may suffer from flare ups of diverticulitis although I’ve never been diagnosed. When I get the pains, it’s always on lower left side, sometimes sharp intermittent stabbing pains especially when passing wind, but often it’s just a dull ache that radiates into my back causing sciatica/piriformis like pain, and aching down my left leg too. I’m at uni for my masters at the moment and because everything has been online I haven’t been getting out much, all sports cancelled etc. I tried to go for a run (I am not a runner whatsoever) about 2 months ago and suffered from horrific cramps, like severe menstrual cramps even though I don’t tend to get cramps with my periods. These faded over a couple of days but on and off since then I’ve had different types of pains but always on my left side below my rib and into my groin. None of it tends to be severe, sometimes it’s just a feeling of uncomfortableness rather than pain. I've had similar pains in the past on and off but never had any real tests except an ultrasound which found nothing. I was offered a colonoscopy but declined as the symptoms improved at the time but now I'm worried again.

I keep meaning to go to the doctors but being at uni is making it hard as I had issues with the uni practice a few years back so just stayed a patient in my own one at home but COVID is obviously making travel harder. I have super bad health anxiety too so I’ve spent a lot of time panicking that it could be the c-word. Guess I’m just wondering if any of these symptoms stand out for people? Or if anyone else suffered from symptoms when they were younger too? Thanks!!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.