22 yo female, hypo, always in bed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

For a couple of years I've had many complaints. Doctors ran many tests but couldn't find out what's going on. My TSH levels have always been elevated, but never enough according to the doctors. I now have a doctor who did diagnose me with hypothyroidism, I'm taking 125 mcg thyrax, but so far I feel nothing. 

Right now, my complaints have gone worse and worse. I can't study anymore, I have tremendous brain fog, and I'm in bed almost everyday. I've read many stories about symptoms, but are there more people who recognize laying on bed almost everyday, not being able to do anything else with their life?

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gabrielle, oh yes, the not-wanting-to-get-out-of-bed syndrome is very real. You might want to post your TSH results before we give our opinions but it sounds as if you are hypothyridic.

The son of a friend of mine almost blew his degree due to hypo. My friend went to visit her son at university, he was in his final year. To their horror he was in bed and had been sleeping for about a week. He was most apologetic to his parents and said that he was not being idle, he just couldn't stay awake. My friend bundled him into the car immediately, took him home and fortunately the doc knew his stuff and recognised hypothyroidism. He got on medication and was able to return to uni and he finished his degree.

So, yes, other people have this sleepy thing, and it can be managed.

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. What is hypothyridic? Something else than hypo?

Ft3 is 5.1 range 2.6-6

Ft4 is 14.5 range 12-22

TSH is 4.0 range 0.27-4.2 (In the past my TSH has been 5.5 and 6.7)

Is it normal to take 125 mcg meds and still feel nothing?

• Posted

HI Again Gabrielle:

It take the body time to really build the level and yes it is normal to not feel as if it is working.

Later the blood will be tested and should be better.

Take the med without food, food blocks absorption.

Shelly

• Posted

Hypothyroidism is often shortened to hypo here. Hypothyroidism is the state when your thyroid hormones are not sufficient, they are low, hence hypo (hypo means "below").

Your blood test results look OK to me. You have lots of T3 which is good, low T3 is a typical problem, your T4 is midrange, which is fine. Your TSH is a bit marginal, it could go a bit lower, but I wouldn't worry too much about TSH.

The only thing I can think of is that you are looking pretty good from the blood serum level but maybe the T3 isn't getting into your cells. To determine this, ask your doctor if you can measure your reverse T3 (via a blood test).

125mcg is a typical sort of dose (I used to be on 125mcg) and is probably accounting for your good blood serum numbers. Your tireness, I think, is due to blocking, i.e. your cells might be occupied with too much reverse T3 and so the T3 can't "get in" ie it is blocked - a blood test will determine that.

• Posted

BTW that silly smiley face was supposed to be a right hand bracket. I don't know why it always does that.   ))))
    • Posted

Thanks so much for looking over this. Very helpfull. Will get my rT3 tested.
    • Posted

Hi,

Well I went to the doctor again today and my TSH is now 0.6 and my T4 has increased but my T3 is still the same as before the medication. My doctor now thinks there's a problem with t3 conversion, like you said. So I'll be put on T3 medication now too. I'm feeling incredibly ill... I hope this will work !

• Posted

Hi Gabrielle,

You are lucky, your doctor has read all the right books. You will LOVE T3 and I am very sure it will fix your symptoms. Some people only take T3 and they feel great. I have not researched the wisdom of this for the long term so I will not recommend it. There is a possibility that the T4 you are taking is causing problems, some brands do not suit some people (I had that problem, I was on a good brand which was discontinued and then I changed to another brand, the one the doctor's office gave out as a generic and it made me very ill).

If you do suspect it is the brand of T4 causing the problem you could switch to NDT because that has T4 and T3 in it, in a good  combination. You could also switch brands of T4, but there are many and at 6 weeks per trial it will take you a long time, maybe a year and you could feel ill all of that time. Choose NDT if the existing T4 plus T3 doesn't work out. You could also try T3 only for a short while - just to give yourself a "rest" and feel good for a while.

• Posted

Sorry Gabrielle I didn't see this post, Christmas crashed in and I went dark for a month. 

From my personal experience the answer to your question is yes! 125mcg did nothing for me. The next standard dose up on that brand was 137 mcg and that was too hot (i.e. I felt jittery), so I mixed them up to a combination which made 130 mcg, and that was perfect. It also loaded me up with as much T4 that my feeble "converter" could make enough T3 that I was optional and felt normal.

That is a little theory of mine that most doctors undermedicate (because of the TSH miopia) so the patient does not get a sufficient amout of T4 in  order to make sufficient T3.

• Posted

Hello Gabrielle:

My name is Shelly and I am a Nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease.

When you are low in thyroid hormone you will feel sleepy and gain weight and feel awful.  Some other symptoms are muscle aches, no periods, low temp and feeling depressed and brusing.

the meds take 6 to 8 weeks to build a level and you ashould also have potassium, calcium, ferrtin, iron , sodium and Vit D and B-12 levels done

Hang in there it will be better as times goes on. The doctro will draw your blood in a few months to see how your TSH level is again.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks for the peptalk! I'm on meds for 7 weeks now, but I'll keep on waiting smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.