225 mg enough for 15+ year Generalized Anxiety Dissorder?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I started using Lyrica 2 months ago (2x75 mg) for GAD (for 15+ years) and it made some anxiety dissapear. Let's say it brought it to the background.

Unfortunately the effect is slowly getting less and less. That's why I'm on 225mg now. 2x 75 in the morning and 1x 75 in the afternoon.

It isn't really working. The anxiety is back, but I can concentrate on other things (which before I couldn't).

My question: Is 225mg enough to get therapeutic reactions on my GAD? Or should I ask for a higher dosage. I've read several reactions on the internet and it seems a higher dosage is preferable (not sure though).

I'm also using 60mg Paroxetine and 300mg Wellbutrin.

What are your experiences?

Kind regards!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I hope you don't mind but I will reply to you later today as I have to go out for hospital appointment now. Others may reply in between but I will get back to you.

• Posted

Hi,

?The maximum dosage you can go to on Pregabalin is 600mg daily. Once you reach this and find it is no longer working for GAD you may have a really tough time getting of it because your brain and central nervous system will be dependent on it. From my own research and talking to people who have GAD and are on Pregab the general concensus seems to be it worked for a while and then stopped pushing the dosage up to the max, and even then it was not enough. The longer you are on this drug the more dependent you become. You have been on this for 2 months now which although not long, it is long enough to change your brain chemistry and stop the brain forming new brain synapses. The higher the dose and the longer you are on it, the harder it seems to get off it. I note that you are also on two anti-depressants to help ease depression and anxiety and with Pregabalin the in the mix these form quite hard hitting team. A lot of people suffer side effects on Pregab most of which you can read on the accompanying leaflet that comes with them. There are others that are still being reported. But, the withdrawals can be quite dreadful and no-one should ever just stop taking them cold turkey. There is a risk of seizures doing this. Perhaps you could take some time to research Pregab fully for yourself before asking your Doctor to up your script. Personally, I wouldn't advise you to do this. It really does not seem to be an effective long term solution to anxiety etc. and then you find yourself dependant on a drug that you no longer wish to take and don't know how to come off. It is not a drug that should be taken long term anyway and needs careful monitoring by your Doctor. 

?I should add that I personally was put on Pregab for Chronic Nerve Pain and have been on it now for 20 months. I am slowly (very slowly) tapering off it now and by taking my time dropping down I am finding the withdrawals bearable, just. When I was on it I suffered balance loss, loss of memory, words and language, started to forget vital things (brain fog) etc. But, it did work on my pain and now I am down to 50mg x 2 daily I am still pain-free - plus the brain fog has all but disappeared and my balance and vision (had vision disturbances too) are getting better daily. It is such an individual thing and every experience is different.

I hope you feel able to make the right choice for yourself, remember information is power and research will help you.

• Posted

I was on a maximum dose of 200mg for Anxiety and Panic Attacks but even though they wanted me to go higher I wouldnt, I felt if I was still getting severe panic attacks on 200mg then what was the point increasing anymore

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.