22yrs, young, healthy, but constantly plagued with uti's. HELP.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 22 year old woman currently at her wits end with another aggressive uti, the third one of this year alone.

I have struggled with uti's for around 12 years now and have always battled the same fight 3-4 times each year. I'm sat here typing this currently cradled in bed, feeling completely depressed and fed up.

Can anyone offer any insight or any helpful information or suggestions as to what I can do? Everytime I visit the doctor they prescribe me the same antibiotics and don't ever seem to take any concern to them being prescribed to me on a very high basis. I have even asked my doctors each time if there are any other possible treatments I can look at long term to help deflect these infections, to which each doctor suggests "if the antibiotics dont work, come back". They have never failed to free me of the current pain but for the infection to return a couple of months later?

I have heard of long term prescriptions, does any one have any experience with these?

I am desperate at this point, i have a active sex life which is also being affected, i am afraid on occasion to be with my partner in fear I'll get an infection even with following suggested protocol, showering before, showering after, and staying dormant on the toliet each time after sex to urinate whatever I can.

I just want to be free of this, please can anyone help me.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bethanny...sorry you are having this problem. Many on this board suffer from recurrent UTIs which are indeed frustrating. I am in my 60s and have had them since I was a teen!

I have learned a few things over the years...some you may already know.

However, let me share just in case...

1) Get a urinalysis done every time you have an infection as well as a culture. Find out what kind of bacteria you may have.

2) Different strains of bacteria respond to different antibiotics. If you keep getting infections perhaps you have developed a resistance to the same antibiotic you are being prescribed or it is not the appropriate one.

3) E-coli bacteria can be reduced or eliminated for some ppl by taking d-mannose on a regular basis available on amazon. Vitamin C on a daily basis can keep bacteria from developing.

4) In my case I have had to request follow up cultures after I completed my meds bc I would feel like the infection was gone, but it wasn't completely gone which is why I'd get another one within a few months.

5) Bear in mind sometimes you will have symptoms, but the culture comes back negative. If the bacteria levels are below the lab's testing level it won't show up.

6) Women can have UTI symptoms, but it may be something vaginal. You may want to consult your gynecologist.

Hope something I mentioned might help you. I have had to get forceful with my PCP and have a urinalysis every 2 months since I rarely have UTI symptoms anymore and if I do it has progressed to a really BAD infection.

Kathy

• Posted

Hi Kathy.

Thankyou for sharing this information!

9 times out of 10 I do a urinalysis and am prescribed the same antibiotics, usually I never think of getting another sample done as I think the infection is gone.

I will definitely order some dmannos though as I've heard that recommendation before. I've taken cranberry supplements in the past to no avail.

I'm going to my gp tomorrow and I'm going to ask to see a gyno or even a urologist just to see if anyone other than my doctors can give me a second look.

Thankyou again and I hope things improve for all us uti sufferers out there.

• Posted

I too am 22 yrs and constantly get UTIs, once every 2-3 months sad I’ll tell you what I do to try to prevent them. I’m still experimenting!

-D Mannose. If you’ve never heard of it, I HIGHLY recommend! I have the pills and take it every morning and night, as well as before and after sex. They really do help! 

-Drink a good amount of water before sex that way I can just pee it out after 

-Cranberry pills. I try to take them everyday though I do forget a lot. I’ve been using the ones from AZO. 

-Probiotcs. I suffer from BV but I read that they help prevent UTIs also. I just ordered mine from Amazon.  The ones I got are supposed to really work based on the amount of good reviews they have, so crossing my fingers! Here’s the link:

-I try to drink at least 1.5-2L of water a day and stay away from too much sugar and sweets 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Aww Anna, looks like were in the same boat sad

Ive purchased myself some D-mannos, that is actually being delivered today. Do you know if I can take it during an infection? And if so if it helps some?

Im currently on macroBID for my current uti and for some reason its making me feel so wiped out and nauseated! Anyone else get this? I know its a common side effect, but I'm always prescribed this and the sickness is new.

It's so frustrating the things I have to do to tiptoe around sex!😫 its already unflattering enough when my partner is getting spontaneously frisky and I have to sexily suggest "how about an erotic wash of the genitals and a pint of water to get us going" 😂

Cranberry pills didn't do anything for me unfortunately sad

I'll try the probiotics, what are they called? They moderated the link!

I wanted to change my diet anyway to continuously cut out sugary food and drinks, guess its now or never!

• Posted

definitely take D-mannose while you have an infection! When I do I take 3 pills every 3 hours to help flush out as much of the bacteria possible. I use the NOW brand, so it does say to take 3 pills 1-3 times daily but I just take it much more often when I have an infection.  It alleviates my symptoms SO much and brings the infection down too. Even cures it completely for some people!  Take them at the very first sign of a UTI to keep it from becoming full blown, always works for me smile 

I’ve taken Macrobid three times and I’m lucky I haven’t experienced any negative side effects. Do you take it with food?  I know that has a lot to do with it. I like to take mine with plain oatmeal or some plain Greek yogurt 

Haha it’s SO fustrating! I hate having to interrupt to take my pills and down a whole bunch of water. Luckily my boyfriend is very understanding so he doesn’t mind at all, but still!🤦🏻???

The probiotics I bought were from a brand named Initimate Rose. They’re called Flora Boom Women’s Health Probiotic. $19.99 on Amazon. It's supposed to help with digestive, urinary and vaginal health. Mine arrived this morning so I just took my very first pill. Crossing my fingers! 

I know a diet change will make so much of a difference! I’m such a junk food eater but I’m trying 😭 slowly staying away little by little lol 

• Posted

UPDATE-

Hi to anyone that read my thread.

Just an update, i went back to the doctors after being given another 5 day batch of antibiotics and straight up demanded something be done. I have finally been referred to a hospital where they will perform a renal ultrasound to see if there is any defects. If all comes back clear my doctor has promised to put me on a consistent dose of antibiotics to make sure they arent reaccuring every 2 months or so.

If god forbid negative results I'm sure action will be taken to dissolve the problem.

I've also started taking Dmannose which is an absolute god send, i would recommend to anyone, i take one morning and night and straight after sex and so far an infection hasn't settled, i also take when i feel a burning sensation and the urge passes shortly after.

I also found through my Romanian boyfriend that there is a cranberry infused tea that is made in Romania. It is made to help deal with issues like this and has all natural properties. I purchased some a couple of weeks ago and I find this along with Dmannose are really helping, i dont really like flavoured tea so sometimes I even just soak a teabag in cold water and let it infuse for an hour or so and take it out for the day. Very helpful and convenient for anyone like me who feels urges out and about and need something to give temp relief.

• Posted

Hey are you still having the same issues? I am literally haunted by UTI's since college ( so like 15 years now) and I had to come up with my own little regimen to help keep things under control, mainly because my pockets were tight. I have been using Cystex for the past 7 months and I can tell you that I see an improvement in my health down there.  Some of the other things i do were already listed in a few replies but I didn't see anything about Cystex. Heres their website if you haven't already checked them out and they are OTC too. www.cystex.com

• Posted

Hey Jessica!

Thankyou so much for the recommendation, I'll definitely look into it. I recently went for my Renal Ultrasound, I get my results in a few days time. Regardless of the outcome I'll still be taking my own precautions to keep preventing these infections as its completely running my life at this point.

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.