23 and recently diagnosed with Lichen Planus, it’s getting worse & is attacking my tattoos!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Apologies in advance for this essay, if anyone actually reads this thank you!!!

I am a 23 year old female from the UK. i was diagnosed with Lichen Planus just before my 23rd birthday in March 2020 (right before lockdown). i had been having problems down below for around 4 months before i decided to see a doctor. I was suffering with vulval pain amd itching, to cut a long story short I finally summoned the courage to go to the doctors, and they didnt have a clue what it was. Eventually after several weeks of blood tests, examinations and finally a vulval biopsy (ouch!!) the Gynacolagist diagnosed LP. went back to the docs and was prescribed a steroid cream to be applied down below, any questions i had went unanswered as they said they simply didnt know why i had it or how i got it.

Fast forward to now (June 2020) and ive now got breakouts of what i believe to be LP on my wrists, palms, back of my hands and over several of my tattoos. It seems that wherever i have an itch LP spots appear (i can only assume it is the LP spreading) havent been back to the docs lately because of lockdown but that is on my to do list as soon as i am able.

Basically i just want to explain my story and hope that someone else out there can relate. Ive been searching high and low but cant seem to find anyone around my age that also suffers with LP. From what i can gather i am quite young to be suffering with this disease but if there is anyone else out there around my age with LP i would like to hear your story and experiences. Also does anyone have tattoos that are affected by it? I currently have 6 tattoos, one old one is affected by small itchy bumps all over, and 3 tattoos Ive had since having LP (although i didnt know) and only 2 of those are affected. there seems to be no info anywhere on how LP affects people with tattoos so any info would help! Also if anyone knows of any effective over the counter creams or anything to help the spots all over my skin, nothing seems to stop the itch!

I realise that I am asking a lot of questions in one post, maybe i will break this post up later on but any help or info would be great. Thanks for reading!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

im newly diagnosed and only 21 .what a mess am i right

it hasnt seemed to affect my tattoos at all more than any other piece of my skin but they are all a few years old

im sorry to hear that u have this and i hope u can find some comfort and possibly clear it if u find something that works let me know! i have only just started steroid creams and they seem to help improve things so far but idk if it will come back when i stop treatment

• Posted

hi sam

im a 29 year old female from the uk

i have LP on my wrists feet and in my mouth sorry i cant be of any help but your not alone.

Im still very scared as its new to me and i suffer with health anxiety so this is a big blow but hopefully things get better for you hunny x

• Posted

Hi!

i am 30 year old women and have LPP on the scalp. it has caused permanent hair loss in some areas which hugely affects my self confidence - i also get flare ups of very red & itchy pathes which then become painful from scratching. sorry to hear you are going through this, i dont have any solutions as i have tried everything without any real progress.

• Posted

hello,

I'm 26 yo female from the US recently diagnosed with LP by my dermatologist. It is mostly down there just started steroid cream I'm hoping it helps because I'm absolutely miserable. now I've noticed one of my old tattoos has itchy bumps as well.. probably spreading just like yours. I promise you are not alone. if there's anything that has helped you with itching and pain please do let me know. I'll appreciate any help you can give me. thanks!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.