23 and scared of bowel cancer

Posted , 2 users are following.

So long story short I'm 23 and I never drink or smoke, and I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with food poisoning/gastritis/acid reflux. The doctor just said to keep on a bland diet in which I did and It took two weeks to get better. It was only until recently I started eating kind of unhealthy for the weekend and then I had listerine at night which triggered painful stomach cramps and then started my acid reflux again. The first time I went to the doctor I was 157lb which was 3 weeks ago, as of my follow up appointment which was 4 days ago I weighed 153lb, yesterday was 151.4, today is Sunday which I check my weight every morning is now 150.4. Does this sound like massive weight loss? I also feel bloated all the time and can't seem to sleep because my stomach is constantly pulsing which sounds odd. My stools were normal when I first started the bland diet but after that listerine incident they are back to loose mushy stools. I'm thinking about going to the emergency room or something but I don't think they would run any tests to clear out cancer, thoughts? I also eat like broccoli, rice, little bit of chicken for dinner or with cabbage. For morning and lunch I would have a turkey spinach sandwich or a probiotic yogurt and banana. Hoping to get some reassurance as I have bad health anxiety.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Usually when you go to the ER with abdominal pain, they do a CT scan or an ultrasound. Both of which can see tumors related to bowel cancer. 23 is young for bowel cancer, and since the pain reoccured after eating healthy food, to me it sounds like you have a bad reaction to something you are eating. Weight loss is concerning but I think it could be attributed to the diet you went on. You should talk to your doctor but don't be concerned about bowel cancer.

• Posted

I have bad health anxiety too. Another option is a colonoscopy to put your mind at rest.   

I've had two and for me they were straightforward and painless. I did have bowel cancer but I'm 72!  As others have and/or will say, you are very young to have cancer

Tell your Dr your concerns. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.