23 and wanting to stop drinking

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've been drinking since I turned 16 and I'm now 23. My Dad is a recovering alcoholic and I've always been afraid that I might be too. The reason I want to stop is because it seems that when I drink I always do something I regret, say something or worse blackout and can't even remember. It sounds stupid but I feel like I'm to young to stop drinking. But I know that if I keep putting off quitting I may lose the people closest to me. The reason I'm really afraid now is because I had my first panic attack on Saturday when I was driving hungover. Now its put me in a terrified state of mind. I've never realised how fragile my mental state is. The thought of drinking again freaks me out...

I also went out on Friday night with the mind set that i didn't want to get drunk. But ended up staying out until 4am and can't remember much of the night.

I'd love some advise on people's younger days of drinking and if anyone got sober at a young age..

Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Dear Kate,

You are at the right place. I also did get crazy drunk when I was your age. Back then it was called fun, but I was labeled as a loose girl, but I did not care because my Uni results and my Sport levelled it out, or so I thought back then. Well it got worse over the years and now I am struggling to get back into control. It will certainly prevent you from having the life you deserve. I did everything to balance my Achilles heel, but it never worked. Please go to Youtube and watch Claudia Christian video on Tedx. Get help now. You are a really brave person to reach out. You at the right place here.

Hugs

• Posted

Thank you for your amazing support. It's so nice being able to talk to others who have beem through similar troubles. I did watch that TED talk. I honestly had no idea about the Sinclair method. But it has given me hope for change!

• Posted

Hi Kate , I drank heavily in my younger days and would say it was pretty much a problem from the word go .By my early twenties it was a very much a problem, I recognised it but did nothing and just carried on .By the time I was 30 my son was 7 and he thought is was 'normal ' to find hidden golden cans , as he called them. That was special brew cans .I had 2 detoxes in my late 30's and then stopped for several years.

By my mid 50's I stupidly decided I was 'cured' and began to drink socially again but it quickly escalated into heavy binge drinking .After a few more years of excessive drinking and a lot of soul searching I finally found this site and the Sinclair Method .I can honestly say the first time in my life I feel I have at last really broken free from the perils of alcoholic drinking . Google C3 Foundation Europe for more information on the Sinclair Method . Obviously there are many ways to deal with the issue and everyone is different but this is the method that has saved me .I had tried AA and just couldn't quite 'get' the programme and total abstinence also failed in the long term. My message here is that if you think you have a problem with alcohol please don't leave it .There is lots of help out there and you have your whole life ahead of you to live and enjoy so don't abuse it with excessive alcohol x

• Posted

Thank you and I agree. I have also tried AA and I didn't get far there. The whole idea of sharing my story with strangers freaked me out. I know many people find AA helpful but I agree that it isn't for everyone.

Thanks again for your reply! 🙂

• Posted

Hi Kate. You have already had some amazing replies from Rainbow, ADEfree, Sportyfix and Nat and their situations and experience. You are in the right place and we will guide and assist you the best we can. Robin
  • Posted

Hello Kate 

?Bless your heart for posting and being so articulate and honest ! I think you are totally amazing getting in touch here and reaching out for help and support . I am 46 , so exactly twice your age . It took me a little longer to discover I had issues with drinking but then again I was married very early and had kids early so that was my focus , although , in my late teens , I used to question why I enjoyed drinking alone in my flat ! I too have an alcoholic Father but sadly , not in recovery !!! I feel very saddened for him now as he runs his life through when he will have the next drink at the age of 70 . I was about 27 when I started to become worried about my habit then when reaching early 30's knew I was badly dependant . I was hooked . Enough about me as I'm doing great now and managing through a method called the Sinclair Method 

?What I wanted to say to you was , maybe don't label yourself too quickly as becoming like your Dad . It's not definitely going to be the case that you end up dependant like him ? It's so easy after a few nights out , blackouts etc to say OMG I'm just like my father ....... Although there is evidence to say that alcohol dependency can run in families and be genetic , also , we can very easily learn bad habits through our parents lifestyles and behaviours . I do feel that our minds are extremely powerful and if we decide to take a certain route, then we will and we can !, especially if we make that decision at an early age ....

?There is a lot of pressure within your age group at this time with alcohol and drugs and it's so easy for some to push it aside and normalise it ! I see a lot of people your age in the job I do and so many come to me with feelings of anxiety, depression and panic attacks . When they tell me what they have been doing during the last few weeks , it does not surprise me in how they are feeling . Binge drinking, drug taking , late nights , trouble with sleeping , poor diet , lack of motivation ! So few young people accept that it may be down to substance abuse !! 

?That's why I think you are so brave in asking for help and addressing your possible issue to drinking now . If I knew what I do now , when I was your age I know for certain that I would stop drinking for a while ? Just really as an experiment . See how I felt in social situations . See how well I was the next day ? . See how proud I was in not making a fool of myself in public and generally , how life was going and where it was taking me .....

?I'm sorry to hear about the panic attack but , maybe this was all meant to be ? A wake up call for you to take good care of yourself . I don't know much else about your life obviously but really felt I needed to answer you as don't want you suffering like I have when really , it can be so much easier . I have kids your age who have been through stuff and can identify with you 

Take care , hugs xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I will be going to my GP today and asking about the Sinclair Method. I'm hoping the drugs that are used for this treatment are available in Australia.

I think because I've seen what alcoholism can do from watching my Dad, I've always thought that I was aware of watching my own drinking. I've realised I have made up so many excuses for my behaviour. Like saying to myself next time I won't get so drunk because I'll eat before I drink..then I end up drinking more because I think I'm able to because I've eaten! Or I'll try and just stick to a bottle of wine. Then at the bottleshop I freak out and need to buy another just incase I run out. I've never been so honest with anyone or myself for that matter as I'm being right now.

I agree that I should stop just for the sake of seeing how I feel . What freaks me out the most is how much drinking has taken over my life. I've realised latley that my bestfriend and I don't do anything else except drink together. I just want to change the direction that my life is moving in.

Thanks again for replying!

• Posted

Good luck today Kate . I feel really positive for you and if you want to change the direction in your life then there is nothing to stop you doing that smile 

?I can definitely understand your worries that connect to your father as I was the same. I'm not sure how well The Sinclair Method is recognised in Australia but I would advise you to look at the C3 Foundation Europe site online . It's an amazing source of information and offers great help and support . Joanna runs this and she is wonderful . The doctor may not be aware of this method so he or she will appreciate hopefully that you have gained as much knowledge about it yourself first . In the UK it is very difficult to get prescribed Naltrexone ! I have it now and am one of the lucky ones but it's taken three months to get it and appointments at my local alcohol centre too , which was not easy !

?There are two types of this medication . One is Naltrexone ( this is the best as has less side effects) The other is Nalmefene ( this is mostly given in the UK ) I took this first before I got the Naltrexone and the side effects were terrible during the first few days but they pass. If you get this one please ask here for advice before you take it ok 

Your honesty is brilliant . Very good luck Kate 

xx

• Posted

Hi, I went to my GP today completely unsure if Naltrexone was available here in Australia . I informed my doctor of what had been going on and she suggested I take Naltrexone. I feel so much relief that I might actually be able to stop this awful cycle of drinking.

• Posted

This is wonderful news Kate . I'm so happy for you . Things must have moved on along way where you are ! Is your doc aware of the Sinclair method and that you must drink with the pill ? Over here in the uk the guidelines state that you must stay off drink for a month , then take the pill to combat cravings while staying sober of course . This is why it's so hard to get it over here doing TSM . 

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Such wonderful news. I am so happy for you. If I may give you some advice. Don't make this pill an extra stress in your life. Just trust that it will work eventually. Go on with your life as usual, just never forget to take the pill. I found that once I made the decision to follow TSM I became obsessed of being successful, which caused additional stress, so much so that I thought about my alcohol consumption all day. Not good. Bottom line: pill + alcohol = cure. This only works if you continue drinking. Read the book: the cure for alcoholism. I bought it online.

So happy for you.

Hugs xX

• Posted

Great reply to Kate from Sporty....you have the experience and can pass it on.
  • Posted

Kate, I'll get in line with the others and say that The Sinclair Method turned out to be a very effective tool to help me dial back my drinking to sane levels. Over a number of months, I drank less because I wanted less. It seems to help stop drinking to blackout too. 

• Posted

Hi Kate. Well done for being honest! You are in the right place and have had so e excellent replies already. Stop now, liver longer. Do not become like your father. I know since my father was an alcoholic but stopped aged 60 and died at 79 but 19 years sober! Dementia but drinking did not help but we were all proud of him! I stopped 5 years ago and happy for now 😁best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.