23, hypo, and lack of motivation.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I can relate to you ALL. I've had brain surgery near my pituitary gland which damaged my thyroid. I've been on my Levo 88 mg for the past year. I do get through the day without hating my life but I just don't feel the same. I've gained a lot of weight and don't know where to turn to. I've worked out regularly and had a well balanced diet and NOTHING. I become impatient with my weight loss and give up. I need help. I have an endo that I go to who insist that my levels are better than my last lab but I don't feel any better. I'm crying inside. Someone anyone please help. I'm 23 and feel like time is passing by. It's only been a year and I feel like it flew by without any positive results. I'm young without any motivation. I reach out to friends, family members, and even doctors and they just don't understand. It's not their fault and I understand but I just want my normal life back. I am a very positive person, in a weird relatively new position in life.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Any information will greatly be appreciated. Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.
  • Posted

Hi

It takes time to get to normal. It took me 3 years to get the right dose of thyroxine after i went through Radio Active Iodine treatment 8 years ago. Currently im on 100mg thyroxine (Eutroxsig tablets). I am writing this from Australia. We dont have Levo here. Its good that you are working out regularly and having a proper nutrition.

you will get better slowly. Be patient my friend.

• Posted

Do you feel like you did before the thyroid issues?
  • Posted

Hi Jay, I feel your pain. I am frustrated beyond anything. I tried the levo for nearly three years and just kept getting sicker. My opinion of the levo is that it shows in the blood but is not biologically functional, resulting in worsening thyroid symptoms, plus side effects, which include accelerated thyroid disease.  I gained a ton of weight on the levo.

Before the levo, I was on NDT, which is better, except that it causes panic attacks, but so did the levo... Tried an OTC glandular that helped until they changed their formulation. 

I finally gave up the meds and have been trying amino acid therapy for a month. The good news is I can think straight, or at least better than I've been able to in a long time.

The amino acids are helping a lot, but the levo seems to have caused kidney problems (duh, massive bloat since I started the levo, it decreased some when I went off), so I'm being very cautious about taking too much of the aminos, and backed the dose off, but when I back off the aminos, I have thyroid symptoms, chilled to the bone all the time. The amino acids are great and seem to be helping with the stomach problems and other things.

My diet is stellar. No gluten or soy, minimal dairy. Organic, veggies and meat.

I must be missing something. I can't exercise much because I'm still recovering from a broken foot that happened a year and a half ago. This is problematic, but I'm getting back to exercise slowly in an effort to prevent further injury.

I've done everything. A lot of things help. But I'm missing something. Seems like what I do slows the progression of the disease, but getting in front of it and turning the disease around seems impossible. The irony is that I was able to get it into remission for ten years, then it came back worse than ever. I just can't quite figure out how to turn it around. I really don't want to go back to thyroid meds, even the natural stuff. My gut keeps telling me I need to treat the problem somewhere else in the loop.

• Posted

Dang, I didn't know that Levo can cause kidney problems. That's scary to even think about. I'm sorry that you're going through that. Thank you both for sharing. I'll stay hopeful and keep pushing

• Posted

Thanks Jay. Theres a lot of info on the relation between thyroid and kidney disease. I blew up like a balloon when I started the levo, and have never recovered, so at this point I can only guess that it's kidney problems. Do a search on side effects of levo, and on levo and cancer. You might find this interesting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.