23 male and just diagnosed with RA

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was just diagnosed this week with RA. Being that I am young, and active (not nearly as much as I used to due to pain) my rheumatologist has started me off on the generic version of celebrex hoping this will work to avoid the heavier hitting drugs and their side effects for as long as possible.  Do people find that this drug works well for them? If so, how long does it usually last before they have to take the next step up? Also any tips for dealing with this as best as possible? I am very nervous especially with having a baby girl on the way in the next month.

Thank you in advanced for any responses.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Celebrex is similar to ibuprofen only milder on the stomach and should be used only when required.   If your Doc starts you off on steroids the two shouldn't be taken together.   Paracetamol can also give some relief and can be taken with most other drugs.   Time span varies from person to person.   There is no easy way of saying this but your life has changed and will never be the same - barring a medical breakthrough in understanding the disease.   Dealing with RA is a very personal thing but over time you will learn your own strategies, forums like this are an excellent venting and learning tool.   Google will be your best friend, google as much as you can on the disease and don't take everything your Doc says as gospel, RA is very much a guessing game.   I wish you luck!

• Posted

I take Celebrex and cannot tell it works at all but the doctor wanted me to take it. Also took Naprason and it didn't do anything. 

• Posted

Celebrex worked so so well at stopping the pain, for me, but was extremely short lived. It gave me relief straight away but after two weeks the effects were completely gone and I was in agony again.
  • Posted

Some of those 'heavier hitting drugs' are what protects the joints, I'd be talking to your Rheumatologist about protecting your joints and stopping them from getting worse.

• Posted

Lovely to hear about your baby on the way!

Ra is just so different with different people and very unpredictable. Best to stay optimistic! You have been prescribed an anti inflammatory pain killer which may well help you right now. There are lots of options for treatment later if the stiffness, swelling and pain in joints increase- and that s the important thing to tell your rheumy if something doesn't work.

RA brings fatigue, so try to get more rest/ sleep -keep joints warm , but keep them moving and pace yourself.

• Posted

My Rheumo told me to get unto 6000mg, of Odurless Fish Oil, taken 2 for breakfast, 2 with Lunch, and 2 with dinner, that is 1000mg capslues, golden monsters but once you get used to them they just become routine.

I notice the difference when I don't take them, get very achy and stiff, for me they do seem to help, I also know they don't help everyone.

Disadvantage - you hair will get very greasy, you will need to wash hair each and every morning with your shower, and you must not take them in the run up to surgery, thins your blood out too much, also check with gyno if you should start oil before baby comes, and if breast feeding.

Advantage - the micro lines on your skin disappear, bonus for me at 60+, the less lines the better, rheumo told me that, she was right.

• Posted

Sorry neede to read header again didn;t I.

• Posted

Many medications for RA are dangerous to take during pregnancy, thats probably why you were started on celebrex. The gold standard is methotrexate but it can induce abortion and is very toxic for breast feeding. If celebrex works that's great, you may not need the stronger scarier stuff. I would say 4 weeks at the soonest you may feel a difference. Steroids are wwonderful for pain relief, but again might not be a good idea if you are pregnant. Your doc may dis cuss other options after your baby is born. Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.