23, worried I might have endometrial or ovarian cancer.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I’m a 23 year old woman. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17, and had surgery to remove a 13 pound cyst in my right ovary when I was 18. 

I’ve always had irregular periods so I was put on birth control to make me regular. It worked on and off for a few years up until last March, ever since then, I haven’t had a single period. 

In July, I went to to the doctor with terrible abdomal pain and cramping, but I was assigned a nurse practitioner. I was told that I had a thick endometrium, and had a biopsy done the same day. It took three different times because she couldn’t collect any tissue, she said she didn’t collect a lot but that the amount that she did collect would do. Fast forward to a week later I had a transvaginal ultrasound and a CT scan a day after that. 

After that, I was told that the biopsy results were normal, but that I have a tumor in my uterus and a cyst on my right ovary, again.. 

I know that they said my biopsy results were normal, along with the ca125 blood test, but something inside of me tells me that I have some sort of cancer. They tell me that I’m too young for these types of cancers, but honestly.. cancer doesn’t discriminate.

They haven’t even mentioned the tumor in my uterus which is another thing that concerns me. They’re more focused on removing the cyst rather than addressing the tumor, which is just beyond me.

One of the main reasons that I’m having so much anxiety is because cancer runs on my mothers side of the family, and I also have every single symptom of ovarian cancer, and every symptom of endometrial cancer minus the heavy vaginal bleeding and being post menopausal. I’ve lost 38 in  two and a half months because I can’t even eat. I literally went from over eating every single day to eating a few bites of food a day.

If anybody here is around the same age and has these types of cancers or is worried about the same thing please reply to this! 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you're going through this!  You are right to be concerned.  I'd find another ob/gyn as soon as I could.  You are correct.  No one is "too young" to get a female cancer.  They didn't biopsy the tumor, did they?  They seem to be assuming it isn't cancer.  I'm much older than you, but your instincts are correct.  

Best of luck to you.  Please let me know how you get on! xxx

• Posted

Hi Lynda! Thanks for your response! 

They did not biopsy the tumor, but they did biopsy a small piece of endometrial tissue. That came back normal, but it was very little so I feel like maybe they could’ve completely missed it? 

I guess there’s no way of finding out if it’s cancer or not until I go in for surgery. 

• Posted

Why not ask your doctor what he plans to do about the tumor? As Erica says below, it could be a fibroid, but as a patient, you need to be fully informed.  I'm glad that the tissue biopsy came back negative.  xx

• Posted

Dear staspena94, doctors have gone through a tough education to be able to see things you should be worried about. So please stop being nervous and believe them that the only problem you have right now is a cyst. You should not forget about your tumor, as it most probably will become cancer one day, especially when you have it in your family. 

What is advised to do in your case is to make your ovaries work for that short period to become pregnant. After the birth of a child, such issues can be solved easier and tumors can disappear 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.