moderate-severe acne

brain fog

fatigue

food intolerances

GERD

pins-and-needles in feet and hands

prickly feeling in legs

heightened anxiety

I lost a bunch of weight within the past few years. Blood sugar has been increasing every six months I get it checked at pharmacy: 104-->109-->118. I eat a plant-based diet (this started happening beforehand, so the diet is not the issue here), and I moderately exercise. Am I headed for type 1? Or could this be something else you think such as hyperthyroidism? What is your type 1 story, especially those of you who developed it as an adult?

Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Fletcher, even the worst of these, 118, is barely into the "pre-diabetes" range, it would hardly explain any other concern. I hope that's good news! I don't think type1 diabetes is any concern for you, the numbers would be much, much higher.

• Posted

Prediabetes is 100-125. 18 is closer to 25 than it is to 0. Why is my blood sugar that high then? My mom is 55, obese, and has high blood pressure, and she was diagnosed prediabetic with a number of 113.

• Posted

I posted an earlier one that went to moderation probably because I tried to refer to some web pages. Moderator, delete that one anyway, if you haven't already. Let me comment on the "prediabetes" numbers.

BG of 100 corresponds to a low A1C of about 5.1, and yet we're all given the guidelines that at least the pre-breakfast reading should be 100, even though it takes an A1C of 5.7 to be "prediabetic", and that's more like a BG of 126. Well, if you have a pre-meal reading of 100 you will probably have a post-meal reading of 120 to 150, for an hour or three, and the average then might get up towards 5.7.

So, 100 before breakfast, or 110 before lunch and dinner, are guidelines, but they're pretty conservative guidelines. Doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously and start counting carbs and getting exercise, but until you get an A1C reading you don't really even know if you're "prediabetic" or not. If you can get some post-meal readings at one hour and two hours, that helps tell you where you are, too.

So Fletcher yes, officially pre-meal numbers between 100 and 118 are indications that you should get an A1C test and start some initial steps, but again, this is so low that you don't really think it's going to give you other symptoms, at such levels.

• Posted

Ok thank you for your reply. The blood glucose is probably collateral damage from something else going on. Maybe hyperthyroid. What I was initially thinking when I wrote this post was LADA. Because that can come on more slowly.

• Posted

Hello: All my life I was a sugar addict, but I tried to offset it by eating healthy. But at age 55 it caught up with me. Likely due to using PPi drugs and nutrient deficiencies. I asked my doctor to give me a full spectrum blood test to find out why I had no energy. My A1C was 9.2 which means my daily average was around 230. Normal A1C is under 5.9. I began researching the causes of type 2 diabetes. He recommends 4500mg of potassium daily. So I started making spinach bread, eating kale and spinach salads, and also drinking coconut water which can provide 1000mg in 16oz. It only took a few days to notice a difference. All vegetables and coconut water should be organic if possible. I am scheduled for a blood test on Tuesday and I'm hoping I'm in the 6 to 6.5 range. Potassium affects everything, heartbeat, digestion, energy supply, glucose synthesis, brain function, etc. John

• Posted

Hi thanks for the advice. Yes, I was eating several servings of vegetables per day for weeks with no change in anything. I've just about given up and have recently begun getting sugar cravings so I'm just giving in. I'm tired of trying. I just want to know what's wrong.

• Posted

Have you had your thyroid tested? Try getting a full thyroid panel and see if that sheds some light on things.

• Posted

I plan on doing this when I see the endocrinologist. I have just learned that hyperthyroidism can cause insulin resistance. Thank you for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.