23 year old had bunion surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

I am 23 years old and I had bunion surgery, I had been contemplating doing this because I kept reading mixed reviews but I thought this would be the best time to do it since I’m young and apparently have a quicker ability to heal. I had both my feet done to get it over with. I recommend getting crutches to help you walk and walk real slow if you have to. I got the walking boots but to be honest they would only hurt my feet more so I would walk barefoot to the washroom and back. Yes my feet would swell but I would put ice on them right away. Definitely invest in ice packs 2 per feet, front and back. I also bought a shower chair so I can sit when I shower and rented a wheelchair. Let me know if you have any questions! I had my surgery March 20th the first 4 days were horrible but it’s slowly getting better. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen

Thanks for sharing this.

You absolutely MUST NOT walk without heel-load-bearing surgical shoes so soon after your operation. I know it's painful, but the shoes are there for a very good reason. Your first metatarsals are incredibly fragile during the first eight weeks of post-operative recovery, so the shoes stop you putting weight through the metatarsal-phalangeal joint. 

I'm 30 and currently in post-operative recovery from a revision osteotomy. Basically, a second round of foot surgery to correct a fractured and misaligned metatarsal following bunion surgery last July. My fracture was not the result of walking barefoot, but the result is the same—another painful and debilitating round of surgery (with the same post-operative recovery period).

Unless you want to risk a second round of surgery, please wear your surgical shoes.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing anner, you have a point, I should wear the shoes but it hurts the area more for me. But I should try to use them. Thanks for the info 
  • Posted

hi Karen, I'm 23 also and I've been told there's notning else anyone can do to stop the bunion on my right foot from getting worse, it's getting worse at the moment my second toe is taking all of the weight from my big toe and I saw and orthapedics surgeon and he suggested operation but I said no and now I've got to go through all of the referral again to get back to the hospital, I think I'm at the stage where I need to have it but I'm terrified it'll hurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.