23 year old male, drinking nightly

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, a bit ashamed to admit this but Ive had a drinking binge for 62 days straight this year. & now Ive been drinking for about 2 weeks straight. I go to work for a big bank then I come home & have me about 8-9 beers a night. I need to stop but I cant. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Try and get Nalmefene from your GP. Have a read on this forum about that drug and The Sinclair Method and also around the rest of the Internet. The problem with cutting back slowly is that it invariably works for a few days then shoots back up.
  • Posted

HI Jeremy. NOt a good situation and you need to make a break and stop duing the week. First of all stop drinking one day per week and later two says per week. I also suggest one can less per night and let us know how it works out!! best of luck  and great that you are here and we can give you suggestions.
  • Posted

Hi Jeremy,

I can empathise with this. Have been really struggling with drinking on my own, mainly wine but sometimes beer too. I'd echo the advice that the others have given you. I'm also finding it helpful to keep busy and distracted. Everytime I get thoughts of going to buy wine, I find something else to do. I'm on an Art Journaling Couse at the moment and find completing my book really cathartic. I get really distracted when doing household chores, but even find flitting from task to task better than keeping still. I even spent 90 mins gardening earlier, which never happens!

I've even been known to put my pyjamas on to stop myself going down the shop...Though it doesn't always work as it's just as easy to change back.

So far I've managed not to drink alcohol since Sunday. This evening was a struggle, but I managed. My goal is not to drink anything alcoholic until my friend's birthday party on Sat. I honestly think if I can do that, I'll start to feel in control of this.

I don't know if my advice will help, but am here if a chat would help. Good luck with this, it'll be hard to change but not impossible. So worth it too.

• Posted

good reply to Jeremy and he is certainly on the right website with the right people WHO FULLY UNDERSTAND HIS SITUATION
  • Posted

Not really. Wish I did. Right now I'm trying to figure out y I seem to think being drunk all the time is better than being sober. Cause it's not what I really want. It sucks your life away. I was in your position at the same age. Nothings changed. Now I'm 32 and trying to deal with the same sh*t. So, my advice, which I wish I could take, is find a way to stop. Adjust your social life. If your working camp jobs or oilfield this can be difficult. I'm trying counciling to see if I can figure out why, what it is that drives me to drink. It seems that I can't help it. I've got some anxiety issues and stuff. When i was about your age I was the life of the party. 10 years later I'm just a fool. Not funny. Not cool. And a much quieter shy person sober. I've really just distanced myself from my family, cause I'm drunk all the time and it sucks.
    • Posted

It's a physical illness. You have not caused it, Travis. The opioid receptors in your brain get additional reward from drinking on top of what most people get. That makes you unable to keep it under control and makes you crave when you don't have a drink.

Medical problem not behaviour problem. The most effective way to deal with it is The Sinclair Method which you have probably read about in this forum. It's worth looking at because it has a 78% success rate compared to lss than 10% success rate for the next best method.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.