23 year old with stabbing foot pain in mid arch for almost 5 years

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Since December 2012, I've been having a sharp, stabbing pain in the middle of the arch of my left foot (see link below for picture of the area). 

The pain occurs on and off, sometimes even going as long as 6 months without any pain. But when I do these specific activities, the pain emerges most of the time: 

1) Walking for at least 1 hour without rest

2) Jumping on my left foot repeatedly

3) Accidentally putting uneven pressure on the forefoot (such as misstepping off of a curb)

The pain began after running for a month in a pair of shoes (called "Newtons"wink that promote forefoot strike. The combination of the forefoot striking (which put a lot of pressure on the front part of my foot) and a sudden increase in mileage most likely led to this persistent pain.

Over the years, I've seen podiatrists, sports medicine doctors and orthopedics. I've tried custom-made orthotics, icing, stretching, rolling tennis balls, acupuncture, various stretches for the calves and achilles tendon, towel stretches, foot massages, physical therapy, night splints, strassbourg sock and hip strengthening exercises. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have an idea what is going on?

Moderator comment:I have deleted the links to the images as they went to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. Users can upload images directly to this site.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello Blue

My problem started with mid arch pain and pain in other areas of the foot. Initially, a consultant thought I had posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. But later, other two consultants agreed I have tarsal tunnel syndrome. But my symptoms are more severe and different than yours.

What I learned from this and also from friends who suffers from plantar fasciitis is that reduction of impact is very important to not aggravate the problem. So we changed our activities, in order to reduce the impact on the feet. My friend cycles a lot, so to avoid walking, apply ice and do some physiotherapy at home. He had plantar fasciitis for a long time. I have changed my life a lot (my problem is more complex): no running, walking has been reduced drastically, lots of rest, air cast boot (on and off during the day), crutches etc. But I also go to the gym to do resistance workout, and I swim (if you want to call that 'swimming' ha ha!). I do physiotherapy at home. All these activities I started doing this year (my pain started in Nov 2014 - after taking part on an obstacle course after nearly 2 years of intensive training for it). 

Feet are sensitive and it's harder to rehabilitate because we need to walk around to do things - we need to live, yeah!!? It takes a long time to get better.

My advice to you is to be careful and reduce the impact on feet. And yes, you need to look for answers on what is really going on with your foot. A diagnosis.

All the best, I hope you find your answers. Good recovery.

Cris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.