23 years old and having random sharp pains in rectum.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay so about a year ago I was using Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) daily to help with nausea and anxiety.  I took a normal dose of the Benadryl twice daily for about a year and a half.  This was really stupid of me I know.

Ever since I quit the Benadryl though I get random sharp, stabbing like pains deep in my rectum.  I guess my in prostate?  I get these pains about twice a week and they'd last a only a few seconds.  For those few seconds though I will almost fall to the floor because the pain can get so intense.  I never really thought anything of it though because I figured I'm too young to have prostate problems.

However, I just learned that apparently Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) can possibly enlarge the prostate.  So now I'm wondering if my past Benadryl habit could've maybe done something to my prostate.  Could it be possible?  Should I be worried?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Decongestants and Antihistamines should be avoided for men with an enlarged prostate as they can stop you from peeing during the time you are taking them but I don't believe that they would enlarge the prostate of a young person and cause the type of pain you are having.

Google  Proctalgia Fugax as a reason. 

• Posted

I'm sorry, I do not know the answer to this. Most men experience spasm of their prostate glang from time to time not nothing like the severity or frequency that you seem tobe having then. Perhaps you should see a Urologist anyway. My feeling is that this is not Benadryl related.
  • Posted

I have had cramps/spasms in my colon/rectum for the past twenty years or so. Not as severe as yours but very uncomfortable. My wife has the same pains, more severe than mine.  I don't know the cause but I do know the cure. We began a fairly intense workout routine including the treadmill and eliptical stepper about two years ago and switched to outdoor brisk walking four to five miles this spring. We do that very regularly every other day. We have had none of these cramps, not ever, since we started getting our legs and buttocks and our "core" in shape. Our bodies evolved during times when daily physical activity was necessary for survival and it rebels in many different ways whenever we neglect conditioning. This may not be the cause of your problem at all but it certainly was the cause of ours.  Incidentally, I use  Motrin PM which contains the Benedryl active ingredient. for a nightly sleep aid and I'm definitely dependent upon it. I hope this helps you. Ron 
  • Posted

Hi Jovvo

you may be young and maybe uncommon for young people to have prostate problems, but it can still happen.

I am young myself according to the urologist that I am seeing. But I had this problem when I was referred. It turned out to be an enlarged prostate and it was pressing against the bladder which had a knock on affect.

With that in mind I recommend that you see your GP for a referral.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.