24/7 air hunger due to panic attack

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have read recently on the forum that people have struggled with symptoms of air hunger that has resulted in years without success.

after suffering a panic attack in which i was excessively hyperventilating for a little more than an hour and couldnt catch my breath at all i have had shortness of breath for over 4 weeks

i have to constantly yawn and gasp for air to catch my breath and have yet to fully control my breathing

i would like to make this thread for those who have overcame a similar issues myself and those are experiencing

what are some tips or strategies that you can share for us

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi George, I've been expierinecing this as well since last year and it sucks:/ It feels like I always have to take a deep breathe and at sometimes feels like Im gonna pass out for not be able to breathe. I really haven't found a way to get over this yet, but I hope you find a way and feel better!:)

• Posted

thank you its weird that this can prolong for so long i mean there has ti be some sort of solution

good luck to you

• Posted

I know what u mean:( At times, everything with anxiety feels so hopeless and feels like the symptoms will never end....and thank u for ur well wishes!

• Posted

is there anyone out there that has combated this and got their breathing back to normal thag would lone to share what they did?

• Posted

hi george, sounds all too familiar. i would always have this feeling in me like i dont have enough oxygen in me and cant take in enough. funnily enough ive read that people with anxiety tend to be shallow breathers and hold their breath a lot, which really resonated with me. while sometimes i cant do much about the anxiety, i learned to become more conscious of my breathing.

go into youtube and look up diaphragmatic breathing techniques. it is basically deep belly breathing. when us anxious people shallow breathe, we dont use use our full lung capacity, causing all sorts of gas imbalance in the body and not oxygenating it properly, which is actually leading to more anxiety. abdominal breathing didnt naturally come to me at first but i really feel a difference since i made conscious effort to practice it everyday, it helps me calm down upcoming panic attack and if i cant sleep

• Posted

thanks i have heard of the abdominal breathing technique and will practice it daily. i never had a problem with my breathing until my last panic attack episode when i was hyperventilating. i constiently think about my breathing which i believe doesnt really help. its as if i forgot how to breathe at times and i cant really fill my lungs at times it is more severe

im also currently on klonpin and lexapro but that doesnt seem to do anything for me

i will be trying out prozac for my ocd tendecies next week

• Posted

the funny thing is i dont feel anxious when i feel like i cant get a full breath

is there anyone out there that also cant get a full breath of air that has to constantly yawn to catch their breath after suffering an episode of a panic attack in which you were hyperventilating for over an hour and could t catch your breath and ever since that episode you cant truly fully catch your breath or have to yawn or gasp for air

what have you done to overcome this situation because i dont feel anxious at all and my breathing hasnt normalized

• Posted

i feel this 24/7 for 1.5 years gasping every 30 seconds made worse by food and movement im bed ridden from it and cant eork exercise and struggle to bath

• Posted

hi! i have this as well. ive had this for 2 years still not sure what causes it. doctors say its anxiety because of all the tests ive had cleared. its hard to live everyday life like this. i get it about every 5 minutes. feel like i need to take deep breathe then when i cant i freak out and start yawning and sighing to try to get it to go through but it doesnt work sometimes so i do it several times before i can get it through and it makes me so light headed and makes my vision weird and also i feel as if nothings real because it gets so bad

• Posted

Hi Jessica! How are you coping with this... I am 19 years old and suffer from GAD... and this breathing thing started about 8 months ago... I can not get it to go away and my doctors keep blaming anxiety..

• Posted

Hello!! Have you been able to figure out what this is? I am only 19 and have been suffering from this for months. Everyday I feel like I am suffocating myself and do not know what to do. If you have found any solutions in the last three years please let me know..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.