24/7 stomach pain in 12 year..going on 4 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 12 year old started having stomach pain 4 months ago when she got a stomach virus that just consisted of bad stomach pains, headache, and fever.  The headache and fever went away within 3 days but the stomach pains never did.  They are from the time she opens her eyes in the morning till she goes to bed.  Pain seems more intense in the morning and night.  We have done X-rays, ultrasound, endoscopy, blood test, lactose test, celiacs test, everything comes back normal.  My daughter had so much life in her, she was my crazy one, and now she just wants to be in her PJ's and lay on the couch.  The doctor keeps asking about anxiety, but honestly she is the most unstressed kid besides the occasional worry here and there.  So frustrating and heartbreaking and I feel like we are coming to the dx of FAP and I don't think I can accept that diagnosis.  It just seems like there has to be answer.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi tssm1

What is 'dx & FAP?'

• Posted

Hi tssm1

Thanks.

Has your daughter been tested for Intestinal Candida which is a build up of of yeast bacteria in the intestines which can cause stomach cramping and low mood and fatigue....probiotic tabs can help to put good bacteria back into the gut...but it would be best for the doc to test her urine for yeast infection first....also has your daughter started her monthly menstrual cycle. Some time before a first period stomach cramping can be strong or dull and achey with low mood/mood swings caused by hormones..also fatigue and lethargy......

• Posted

I don't believe she has been tested for Candida, but we have another GI appointment next week and I will be sure to ask.  My daughter has not started her menstrual cycle.  My thing is this all started with a stomach virus and that the pain is everyday all day.  There is no break in between, she says it is hurting all the time.  She also gets very nauseous in the car now, within minutes of being in the car.  We are seeing the director of Pediatric GI at a top hospital, so we have been going with his recommendations but he is always asking about her anxiety which I don't think that is the issue.  I will ask about the yeast since they have yet to test her urine!

• Posted

Hi tssm1

How was she tested for stomach virus how was that diagnosis confirmed?..

• Posted

Just by her primary care doctor.  It was going around town and my other daughter also had it.
  • Posted

Functional abdominal pain or IBS could be the answer especially as the stomach pain continued after a stomach virus. I wouldn’t exclude this as a possibility. You can get Post infectious IBS.  If all tests are negative, it would suggest IBS which doesn’t show on scans because it is functional. Does the pain move about her stomach and does she have change of bowel habit?  If she does, it sounds like IBS.  

Try a food diary to see if any food triggers pain or bowel habit change like diarrhoea.  However, you can also get constipation with it or both.

I had negative results for an ultrasound, celiac test, stool tests, and urine test. I completely discounted IBS because I thought it was too simple and had to be something else but I was diagnosed with IBS.  IBS is common in childhood and in teenagers.  It can affect adults too.  

My doctor diagnosed IBS on the basis of my anxiety.  Anxiety can trigger IBS.  That is why your doctor is asking about it. It is not an irrelevant question. The brain and the gut are linked.  The nerves in the gut are very sensitive to both stress, infections and food.  Even if your daughter has only the odd bout of anxiety, this can be enough to set off IBS.

• Posted

Her Bowel movements haven’t changed, she still goes routinely every day.  Pain stays in the same place..if you were to put a grapefruit on your belly button that is the circle where the pain is.  She has never been a good eater, very picky, very bland, Cheerios, pasta no sauce, rice, popcorn, pancakes.  She does eat steak and chicken occasionally and cucumbers and carrots.  
    • Posted

FAPS seems to describe your daughter’s symptoms more than IBS.  Abdominal pain is the major symptom and there is no change in bowel habit like you would get with IBS.  It doesn’t show up on any scan.  It can be caused by an infection and is made worse by stress and anxiety, especially anxiety triggered by the pain. Increased sensitivity of the nerves in the gut and the gut brain link are very significant factors in this condition.

If you are diagnosed with FAPS, it can be managed with antispasmodics and painkillers which your doctor can prescribe.  However, you can get OTC antispasmodics such as Buscopan  which I find really helps me.   Although, there is no cure, a combination of these medications, distraction techniques and very light exercise such as walking or swimming can help to ease the pain and make her more comfortable.  Try a food diary and avoid processed foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.