24 and pancreatitis for 1 month!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just looking for some reassurance!

I'm 24, female, eat healthy, don't drink and run/ gym regularly. One day at work out of the complete blue I had this severe stomach pain and couldn't breath deeply, long story short I spent the next 2 weeks in hospital - diagnosed pancreatitis!

Had MRCP, endoscopy, 2 ultrasounds and 2 chest xrays done (on top of the usual bloods.) The only thing showing was inflammation of the tail of the pancreas and obviously lipase raised. No gallstones!

I was released 2 weeks ago with tramadol and paracetemol for stomach and back pain and anti-nausea meds with an ultrasound endoscopy in 10 weeks. Still cant eat because its so painful so have lost 8 kg in 4 weeks and continue to loose weight.

I'm getting scared that waiting the 10 weeks will cause lasting damage? and if they don't find anything does that make it chronic?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hello my darling,

Pancreatitis sufferer here - I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I also have half a pancreas - so try not to worry about damage - the pancreas can do some amazing things even IF you had damage.

However, attacks of pancreatitis, of which yours sounds quite severe due to how long you were in hospital, can take a long time to recover from. Pain is quite normal and you may notice it more after eating, lying on your back or even if you have some wind.

For now, massively reduce your fat intake and possibly request ensure shakes to get the nutrition that you need to heal. If you aren't getting the right nutrients, then your body wont repair itself. Peppermint tea for wind and bile flow and have a little google of the pancreatitis diet whilst you are recovering - the aim is to put it through a rest period where it doesn't have to work so hard, just until you are feeling better, which you will.

Your already clear scans are the best sign and the ERCP will be a follow up to see how you are.

Take care,

Amy x

• Posted

Hi dson 😃 Eating after pancreatitis is really hard. Check out the Nutrition Guidelines for Chronic Pancreatitis on the Stanford Healthcare website. It is not super detailed, but it was a great start for me. Also, make sure to take it easy with the gym. I hope you get well soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.