24 and So Scared I Have ALS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I am 24 years old and male, I have been in good health all my life without anxiety until the last 3 months. It all started with a flu back in December that gave me brain fog that has persisted all this time. I was vigilant with my doctors, I went to Urgent Care, the emergency room twice, saw my PCP twice, a gastro twice, and even a Urologist twice. I got an MRI that came back normal. That's when it started. A close friend of mine made a silly comment and thought they were joking "oh well hopefully it's not ALS" within minutes I had googled it and knew every symptom that I could face. I had never considered it before that moment, but then, all of a sudden, my left arm felt heavier, my left hand did not seem right to me, it's cold, tingles sometimes, then I started noticing right calf twitches, then the next day it was right foot twitches. I saw a neurologist 2 days ago and he was confident I did not have ALS. I wanted an EMG to make absolutely sure, but he did not  see the point. I could walk on my heels, I could walk on my tip toes, I could swallow, I could talk, I can touch my fingers to my thumbs, I can lift my legs, and I can raise my arms over my head.Before the brain fog, I was in what I would call a very stressful time in my life with law school on the horizon, the LSAT, a difficult relationship, and working 50-70 hour weeks.

I am not irrational (well maybe), I look at that, and I am thinking "anxiety." I guess one of my questions is, let's say this weird feeling in my arm I am having, does that become clinical weakness? I should mention too that anxiety is completely new to me, I have never been an anxious person until now. I am just nervous that I'll be walking later today and my leg will give out and then I'll be really troubled.

Should also mention I worked out two days ago after having gone without running for like a week. I pushed myself to a 7:45 mile, then did bench press, lateral pulldowns, tricep extensions, and bicep exercises...so maybe that's why the twitching? 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Post viral syndrome?
    • Posted

That has not really been mentioned by my doctors, they do once and while say "well it can take 6-8 weeks to get over the flu" but I am getting towards that time now and I've always been one to be healthier quicker...it is a bad flu season though

• Posted

When I had it took me months to get over it. Then it was called Yuppie Flu:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.