24 hours after TAH

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just wanted to write a little post, mainly aimed at those who are having their surgery very soon and are feeling nervous.

I was terrified - terrified of the complexity of the surgery (very large fibroids including cervical fibroids and an enlarged uterus); terrified of the anesthetic, dying, everything!

It's 24 hours since my TAH and everything is so far, so good. The pain and discomfort is managed well with medication. My catheter is out and I'm peeing.

For anyone who is worried, I just wanted to reassure that you will be fine and will get through the surgery.

Sonia x

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am 18 months out from my TAH and I had the exact issues and also the same exact fears. I was terrified. I sometimes hesitate to respond to alot of these posts because my hospital care and the support I had at home was nothing short of amazing and the only reason why I had a quick recovery. I feel so badly for the women who have had horrible experiences. I still feel some pain sometimes, I still do not have feeling in my abdomen and my body is certainly not the same but it is all manageable. The best advice I can give is to be patient with yourself and your recovery. Walking, when you can helps with recovery and a diet full of fruits and vegetables absolutely aided in my recovery.

Sonia I wish you good health and recovery

• Posted

Thank you! I have also been fortunate enough to have excellent care and support. I'm actually going home today!

• Posted

Thanks for your post, my date is the 18th and Im feeling nervous. Your post has made me feel better.

Hope your recovery goes well.

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I'm glad to hear my post helped alleviate some of your worries. It's perfectly normal to be nervous, but I found that I started to become a bit illogical about it all! It's 3 weeks since my surgery and I am honestly feeling pretty great on the whole. My incision is healing really well and the pains are very manageable. I've been out for walks and managed a half hour yesterday - probably could have done more, but am really mindful about overdoing it. I wish you the very best for the 18th. Everyone at the hospital will take the best care of you and before you know it, you'll be in recovery. Let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

Hi hope you are doing well, 3 months ago I had TAH and removal of 45cm cyst which they thought could have been cancerous, thank goodness it wasn't and all is fine. I was absolutely terrified about hospital and op but it really was all OK and I am amazed at how I coped and got through it all and how great the hospital and staff were. My long scar has healed nicely and I really feel good. Slight feeling in places like pin pricks or stinging and have been told that is stitches inside dissolving or things knitting together. I am taking things easy and do take paracetamol when I feel the need. My worse problem is due to hot flushes now I am in menopause. Not found a remedy yet and do not want HRT

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.