24 year old diagnosis questions

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello

i got diagnosed at a very young age with barrets esophagus i had black stool and on one occasion vomitted blood. i was 24 years old they found 5mm and put me on omeretzapole for life and told me there was no need for follow up cameras i believe these problems was all down to binge drinking alcohol lads holidays smoking etc

As i was young understood nothing about barrets and never took the PPis as i read everywhere they was bad for you they do more harm then good and thought with such a small amount it wont matter and continuted stupidly to drink following this endoscopy recentley i vomitted blood again after a heavy night drinking (i rarley drink anymore maybe once a month for last two years) i got in touch with the doctors and he said to take omeretazopole 40mg for the rest of my life

i have no heartburn no symptoms of barrets ever and havent since i stopped drinking so much no more black stool for years or vommiting blood just this one incident

is there an alternarive to PPis has anyone managed to live a healthy normal life by using aloe vera, apple cider vinegar and perfecting there diet

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

if anyone out here is reading this and you as did i have no symptoms of barrets esophagus go for a re test because i never had it when they scoped me again it was a mis diagnosis and they tried prescrbin me ppis forever the original time around if my curiosity didnt lead me to another test i would be now taking them tablets forever

• Posted

Glad that you aren't having issues anymore and that you got another test and found it was a misdiagnosis. Hard to know sometimes which is the right result with things, but I think as long as you're symptom free, that matters most. Good for you deciding to have it checked out again in case. I definitely agree with staying away from the meds if you can. Often it seems more helpful to just avoid the things that inflame or upset your stomach for long enough that it has time to fully heal from any inflammation. Sometimes it takes a really long time. Those PPI's are often like a bandaid on an issue rather than a true fix, and they do seem like they can make things worse and cause other problems. Doctor's aren't always right, and the less experienced they are, seems they stick to this by the book type stuff that isn't always the best for people.

I went through some major stomach issues one time and was diagnosed with barret's as well, yet I had never had symptoms of it before. I was also diagnosed with hernias of the stomach. I read that barret's esophagus is often misdiagnosed, so that gave me hope that it was the case for me. There was inflammation at the time of my endoscopy and the doc who did it also didn't have good ratings at all. His procedure caused me way more issues than I'd ever had. He also needlessly removed a polyp that caused further inflammation and way worse issues than I'd ever had, which lasted a while. I was told by someone else that their doctor does not remove those because stomach ones do not often lead to issues or cancer so they can just be left alone and monitored. I did not know he was going to do that as he didn't mention it. That whole experience and the aftermath left me afraid to ever get a scope done again, even though I hear some people do it routinely without issues.

I've never puked blood, but I went through a lot of acid issues for a while and after that awful endoscopy I couldn't eat at all, even just a banana or a little bit of plain rice, nothing, without major issues I had never had before. It lasted a while and just like with you, they tried to put me on PPI's and a bunch of meds a day. I tried to tell them I think I just needed time off work to rest my stomach because it was so terribly inflamed and rest seemed to help (even moving/bending irritated it badly). The doc wouldn't listen, blamed it on my conditions and pushed the meds. I got them to give me a little time off, and even though it took a long time to get better, I was right about what I needed. It wasn't the meds, I didn't take them for long at all. I just needed to avoid irritating things and give it time, but I was so afraid for a long time that it wouldn't get better because I thought maybe the scope procedure had damaged something. They even told me it wasn't normal to have those issues after a scope, but blamed it on my 'results' instead. I knew that was bs because I was actually ok by time I finally got the scope done (just kept the appointment since it took so long to get in and to see if they found anything that had been causing some previous issues), and then immediately after it was so messed up for a while.

To this day I'll have occasional small stomach issues (maybe hernia related) but nothing major, and some of it is avoidable. Very lucky to not have something that needs surgery, because I was very worried about that for a while (success rates, lasting time, etc).

I also read about someone who had major stomach/acid issues for a long time and he avoided all things that seemed to irritate the issue for like a year or two... something like that, and then eventually he was able to have them in moderation again and be fine and healthy, that definitely gave me hope back then too.

Good luck staying healthy and taking care of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.