Skip to content

Barrett's Oesophagus

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Recently diagnosed and feeling alone

Hi,  I'm a 23 year old female that was recently diagnosed with Barrett's oesophagus.  I'm so confused as to how I could have this when the usual age frame is 50+?  The more I read up on it, the more terrified I feel.  Are there any other young people suffering from this?...

Last reply
  • Gallbladder removal and Barrett’s diagnosis

was wondering if anyone else has had their gallbladder removed and if they noticed a increase in bile reflux after surgery. I never had any symptoms of reflux until after my gallbladder removal which prompted my endoscopy that diagnosed my Barrett’s. And it was specifically bile reflux. I am only...

Posted
  • what are Barrett's esophagus symptoms and treatment options?

Hi ... for years i have been diagnosed with gastritis.since 2007, and later HIDA scan with non functioning gallbladder in 2011.I did not remove my gall bladder. Last year i did my 3rd endoscopy and found that i have barretts esophagus confirmed by biopsy with non dyspepsia and also got multiple gallstones...

Last reply
  • Carafate

How many are taking the med Carafate for Barrett's esophagus? I've been taking it since 2/18 and it has done little to help lower my pain. Thank you, Edward

Last reply
  • New diagnosis

Hi everyone, I was just diagnosed with Barrett Esophagus and heital hernia two days ago during a routine endoscopy. Never had any Gerd symptoms and am only 31 years old. I have been in a panic since diagnosis and cry all day. I feel like it is a death sentence and am scared silly. Had anyone else been...

Last reply
  • Fundoplication and hiatus hernia repair

Hello there! I was on this site a lot prior to my operation and did promise I would update people on my experience, I have however been extremely busy due to personal circumstances, but finally here goes; I had my operation at the end of October 2015, when I woke from the anesthesia I was in a lot...

Last reply
  • Just diagnosed

Just diagnosed after endoscopy after feeling chest pressure just under sternum with constant gut ache. Noticed choking when not chewing food well. Feel pressure when bending over at waist .Strangely never really noticed reflux or indigestion issues. Pretty much eat anything . Biopsy tested negative for...

Last reply
  • Stomach Pain

I was diagnosed with Barrett's back in 2015 following an endoscopy. I used to get bad indigestion and burning in my chest. I had a two year check in December 17 and was told that the Barrett's was about the same but I also had a hiatus hernia. Biopsies were taken which showed no cancer. I also...

Posted
  • Barretts Oesophagus and taking Omeprazole

Last March 2017, i went for a endoscopy (previous to this say 2 years i had hiatus hernia), I was diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus, im taking 20mg of omepazole a day plus ranitidine at night, i get food stuck in throat quite regularly, recently I have had real trouble swalloing my pills and this also...

Last reply
  • Newly diagnosed with Barrett's

I just found out I have Barrett's. I am 60.. I am a bit stressed. I also have ahiatal hernia. Some questions should I press my doctor for a hiatal hernia surgery? I have stopped eating 3 hours before I sleep but I can have a drink of herbal tea in those 3 hours? Also is it alright to have a decaf...

Last reply
  • Blood in my saliva

I was diagnosed with barretts Oesophagus about a year and a half ago following an endoscopy.  Immediately after my endoscopy I got severe heartburn.  i had never had a day of it prior to the endoscopy.  Since then i have taken 40 mgs of Esomeprazole a day and I am not having any heartburn...

Last reply
  • Worried, Frustrated & Angry at lack of care / communication

Hubby was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and Barretts disease 6 weeks ago and we still do not have biopsy results despite frequent requests to the GP (who say they will take up to 8 wks) and the hospital, were we have left dozens of answer msgs. 3 visits to GP and A&E and we are still none the wiser,...

Last reply
  • Dysplasia

hi has anyone been treated for low grade Dysplasia if you have what is the treatment and did it work 

Posted
  • Awaiting biopsy results for diagnosis with questions.

Hi all, I'm a 37 yo male, non-smoker, non-drinker, coffee addict who is a non-symptomatic celiac and I recently had a followup endoscopy (six years after celiac diagnosis) to see how things looked. I was coming off of propofol when speaking to my doctor and will be following up in 1-2 weeks for...

Last reply
  • Benign cells

i,ve been told I have benign cells in my oesphagus and will need regular monitoring has anyone else gone through or going through this and could they go back to normal my medication has been upped from 30mg to 60mg of lansopzole because of inflammation 

Last reply
  • Stretta or lynx

After a manometry test i have been told i have weak oesophageal muscles and hypotensive upper oesophagus... therefore the surgeon has suggested that best option for me is stretta whereas I would have preferred either lynx or fundoplication for my regurgitation.my insurance company (axa) have declined...

Last reply
  • Diarrhea

I recently found out I had Barrett's esophagus. Was about a week and a half ago. Since then I have tried to change my lifestyle. Not eating 3 hours before bed. Cut out caffeine and chocolate. But since I made this change I have not been feeling well and have diarrhea ever since. I am worried. Thanks

Last reply
  • Worried

I've had an endoscopy and they took biopsies they now want me to have a CT scan i.m worried sick has this happened to anyone else

Last reply
  • Fundoplication and hiatus hernia

I had fundoplication and hiatus hernia surgery 6 or 7 years ago. I have had a few possible since then, like food getting stuck in my oesophagus and the acid reflux is back with a vengeance. But for the last six months I've had chest infection after chest infection. I've even been admitted to...

Posted
  • new to forum - general advice

Hello All, This is my first post. I'm getting sick of living with heartburn and tight chest etc and hoped I might get some insightful advice from my fellow sufferers! I was diagnosed with "Barrett's Epithelium" and a "Hiatus Hernia" a few years ago and have had two endoscopy...

Last reply
  • Fobbed off and made to feel like a waste of their time

Background: hubby was eating well but losing weight unexpectedly so sent for bloods, MRI, xrays and gastroendoscopy. MRI, bloods and xray came back with nothing. Since the endoscopy(5th DEc 17) when he was diagnosed with Barrett's and a hiatus hernia, he has had no appetite, what little food he...

Last reply
  • Ulcers

i have Barretts and after an endoscopy i was told I had superficial ulcers there was no one to ask any questions so i,m left not understanding what this means can anyone explain what this means

Last reply
  • Barretts oesophagus

Hi, just had colonoscopy. The endoscopic diagnosis was Barrett's oesophagus-potential microsegment. Does anyone know what this means. I'm waiting to speak with my consultant to find out more. Just a bit worried, as you do...

Posted
  • Fundoplication and Hiatus hernia repair

I had the fudoplication surgery in September 2014 because I did not want to take Omeprazole for the rest of my life. The operation was a great success until September last year. I developed a very nasty cough with flu like symptoms, my doctor said it was a cold and there was nothing he could do so gave...

Posted
  • Focal intestinal metaplasia in the stomach

I recently had an endoscopy done and was told I have reflux, mild to moderate chronic gastritis and focal intestinal metaplasia in the stomach. I researched intestinal metaplasia and was devastated in reading the relation to cancer. I'm only 35 with a young family. The doctors told me my risk is...

Last reply
  • A natural way of dealing with Barretts esophagus?

Hello all,quite recently I realised that my treatment for Barretts did not appear to be working very well I am taking 40mg Lansoprazole twice per day for the usual symptoms,reflux,distension,discomfort in throat etc. I was diagnosed last June with Barretts,hiatus hernia and reflux after undergoing an...

Last reply
  • Meds stopped working

I have non dysplasia Barratts, for some years now but first Lansaprazole stopped working and now Omeprazole. I have just switched this morning to Esomeprazole so keeping my fingers crossed. Up most of last night with what I think was heartburn, intermittent sharp pain from breastbone right through back...

Last reply
  • Just diagnosed at 37

I had an upper endo last Thursday, my gastro detected a small salmon discoloration and believes I may have Barrett’s. He took a biopsy to confirm but I haven’t received the results. Presuming it’s Barrett’s, do most Barrett’s patient have at least some Dysplasia initially? If so what is the general treatement?...

Last reply
  • Help post

is anyone here, who can tell me the name of a best gastroenterologist of India???? its very urgent.

Posted
  • lansoprazole causing wind

Since taking lansoprazole I,ve had a lot of wind if I take gaviscon it seems to make it worse it gets very uncomfortable does anybody  else suffer this I try to be very careful what I eat and I didn't have this before I started the tablets any suggestions will be gratefully received 

Last reply
  • Nodules

I was diagnosed with small patch of Barrett’s 7 years ago. Been taking Prilosec ever since. Just had another endoscopy yesterday. Doc told my spouse (while I was still under sedation) that he found two nodules but not concerned about these and to get another endo in 3 years. Other than that appeared...

Last reply
  • Hospital letter

i.ve received a letter from the hospital telling me my oesphagus is very inflamed I was told at my endoscopy I had Barretts but this letter doesn't mention it I.m confused does inflammation mean  I have Barretts or not does anyone know ?

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.