Fundoplication and hiatus hernia repair

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hello there!

I was on this site a lot prior to my operation and did promise I would update people on my experience, I have however been extremely busy due to personal circumstances, but finally here goes;

I had my operation at the end of October 2015, when I woke from the anesthesia I was in a lot of pain with my left shoulder, and being so drowsy I wondered if I had been given the wrong operation, however I was then dosed up with morphine and told it was normal, I later found out this pain was because of a nerve that runs from your digestive system to your left shoulder, for the following week I had this pain on and off, I'm not going to lie it was not pleasant.

Recovery in the hospital was a little longer than expected, I belive this was due to the fact that I was told by nurses to try and eat soup only a few hours after the op, and was being given several different tablets to swallow, this meant I actually kept being sick, aggravating the operation recovery, once they put me on IV pain relief and stopped suggesting I ate, I started to feel better.

Once home, my recovery was much better, the first week, understandably was the worse, lots of tenderness, lack of appetite and very lethargic, but this soon improved.

After three weeks I was eating solid foods again, albeit not large amount or anything like bread/biscuits!

And unfortunately food was just running back out of me. (not pleasant I know)

Since the operation, I have not had the slightest bit of indigestion/heartburn, I am on no medication and can eat just about anything.

My one downside from the operation is that my IBS is definitely worse than it was before, and as much as I hate this, I feel it's a small price to pay to help prevent the Barratts I was diagnosed with back in January 2015.

If anyone wants to know more details about my experience etc, I'm happy to answer people's questions more directly, if they think it will help them in making a decision on surgery, as I certainly struggled before but I can safely say 5 months in I don't regret it!

Steph

5 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie - So glad to hear you are doing better now. I too had the Full Nissen Fundoplication (Laproscopic) 1 week ago today!! Like you when I woke up my chest & left shoulder were very painful. My Dr ordered liquid pain meds for me which worked great. My nurses were adamant about my diet being full liquid for the 1st week. I have gradually added some items (Yogurt, Jello, pudding & protein shakes). I was going through 8 bottles of Gaviscon tablets per month before my surgery & now not the first one biggrin  I am very pleased. I do still have the chest & shoulder pain at this point but Dr says that is from the fact that he had to adjust the lining of my lungs (my entire stomach was up in my chest). Hope you continue to improve!! 
    • Posted

I too had my liver held up during the operation, which is why they said I had the pain for longer too!
    • Posted

Hi Vickie

Would you be willing to share with me your surgeon's name?

Thanks,

Miki

• Posted

Thank you for coming back to update us I am in the same boat as you with a hiatal hernia and Barretts guess I have not come to terms with having the operation perhaps one day but is glad to hear you're doing good
  • Posted

I appreciate you coming on and telling us all about your operation too - I have managed to avoid the op so far as the meds still work for me but I will read your journey with interest.  Please do come again and update us as you re-couperate - I have always been so scared of this op so it will be nice to hear first-hand of what it is like.
  • Posted

I was also very nervous about having this surgery after reading about all of the negative side effects people had afterwards but in my situation It came to a point of no choice. I started throwing up after every meal in August 2015 having great pain & pressure in my chest. It became apparent after 2 endoscopies & many other tests (motitilty studies) that my entire stomach had herniated into my chest. I also have Barrett's & Class D esophagitis.  By the time I got in with the surgeon of my choice I had dropped 46 lbs & was pretty much on a liquid diet anyway. Fast foward to March 29. I had my surgery & here we are a week later & yes I have some pain but have been able to keep down everything (Still full liquid at this point). Not one Gaviscon since surgery which I was eating like candy beforehand. Best thing I have ever done!! DO your homework & find a surgeon that you trust!! 
    • Posted

Hi Vicki. So glad your surgery went well and that you are feeling better.

​I am new to the forum and I am glad I joined.  I am contemplating the surgery.  My doctor feels it is not necessary because although I have Barretts, I have no sign of dyplasia.  I am in pain for most of the day.  I worry about these meds and the side effects, especially the nexium.

​I will read more about the rules of the forum to find out it we can post the names of surgeons.  Until then, I wish you the best for a speedy healing. 

• Posted

Hi Deborah, I was diagnosed with Barrett's with no diplesia too. I stopped taking medication as they make me sicker all the protons. I take gaviscon sometimes but it gives me heart palpitations so I have decided to stop taking it as well. I have acid in my mouth every morning, gets better during the day until I eat something that triggers the acid and then it can go for days. I try to manage my acid the way I can. I am not sure what the solution is. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

Congratulations on a positive outcome from your operation.

I have an operation on the horizon (July), so I can only hope that my experience is much like you describe - I'll happily settle for that prognosis!

All the best with your continued recuperation.

Chers,

Mick

• Edited

I had this operation over 20 years ago after being diagnosed with Barretts, its the best thing I have ever had, completely 100% GERD free, amazing! only downside, if you can call it that is not being able to vomit, its very very difficult, but who wants to Vomit anyway.
    • Posted

Reading your very positive post. I have my nissen Fundiplication hernia op in 11days time and im getting the collywobbles.i hope i will have a positive outcome too. Any hints or advise welcome.
    • Edited

Hi,

Don t be afraid. I m on Day 7 Post Op. I won t lie that swallowing is very painful afterwards and although the staff were supportive I struggled to drink and eat few hours after the surgery. However, after a few days and once the anaesthetic effects get out of your body it gets better. Keep persevering with the drinking I made the the mistake of sleeping a lot and forgetting to drink let me tell you dehydration symptoms are a lot worse. Now I have set myself a goal of 500 mls of water up to lunch same up to dinner and bedtime along with extra tea, apple juice. It's hard but feel better for it. On the plus side my sense of smell and taste has returned have nt had these for more than two decades the downside of this terrible disease happy days onwards and upwards 😀

Good luck and keep us posted.

Anyway good luck

• Posted

Sorry for the very late reply Kabbeyabbey,

I hope the operation went well, I just think 20 years down the line it really is a lifesaver, I don't need or use antacids anymore, or proton pump inhibitors, yes it first its very uncomfortable, things feel like they get stuck, if the op has made the opening to your gut too tight, then it can be stretched under a twilight operation, nothing severe, as I had, but honestly the best thing I ever did, 20 odd years Barretts/GORD free thank God, the discomfort will be worth it in the end, believe me.

• Posted

Hi Steph I have a small amount of barretts and a hernia and have confirmed GERD but deciDed to stay on the medication in January to see how things wen( I have suffered from all of the symptoms for about 6 years and been on medication since problem discovered but barrets only developed last year)  On 15mg twice daily and consultant does not want me to raise prescription ,b ut have found I now have a sore tummy are and slight upper back pain and presume the ulcer I had last year may have returned. Have been offered operation or continue on low dose lanzoprazole for ever. Not sure now what to do... Perhaps barretts Wessex also has a view...I have have no feeling of acid

acid reflux since I changed my medication from 30mg once a day to the 15 mg twice a day.....buts I know that it could be occurring still. What does anyone think. Should I go for the op... I am a bit worried that the acid is causing inflammation in my oesophagus. Perhaps I just need to up my medication again.

• Posted

Obviously as I've had the operation and it's been a success I would advise surgery, but it isn't for everyone!

My IBS is the worse it's ever been since having the op but the fact that I have absolutely no acid problems and can eat what I want, when I want is great.

Before surgery I was on 20mg ompreazole twice a day, and I was able to stop this the day after surgery!

I would say it depends on symptoms, whilst on medication I still got stomach pains, chest pains, bloating like crazy. And now like I say more or less do what I want, I don't drink fizzy drinks and if I try to consume too much pasta or rice it's a bit of an issue but other than that I'm fine.

And importantly the Barratts is hopefully being kept at bay.

Only you can make the decision, everyone's lifestyle is different and it's what best suits you, at 24 years old being on medication for such a long time I did not feel was a good option for me!

• Posted

Have you heard of FODMAP’s? Cures most IBS. Look it up on the Monash University website. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your blog. I’m gonna get fundoplication after reading it  😊 

• Posted

Have the operation, you won't look back, I had it 20 years ago, best decision I ever made, yes it's uncomfortable for about 7 weeks to swallow but nothing serious, it's fine, a few side effects are you cannot vomit, but thats not such a bad thing, and your tummy does bloat, so use plenty of charcoal tablets, apart from that nothing else, no Barretts/GORD or indigestion, do it!

• Posted

Thanks Tom. I’m seeing my surgeon this Wednesday. My biggest fear is not being able to burp! 
    • Posted

I’m 8 weeks post op.  Most days I feel like I swallowed a beach ball.  So bloated and sick on my stomach.  I have been able to belch in the last couple days!  But the worse is not being able to vomit!  I’ve heaved until my chest feels like I was kicked.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.