Fundoplication and hiatus hernia repair

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hello there!

I was on this site a lot prior to my operation and did promise I would update people on my experience, I have however been extremely busy due to personal circumstances, but finally here goes;

I had my operation at the end of October 2015, when I woke from the anesthesia I was in a lot of pain with my left shoulder, and being so drowsy I wondered if I had been given the wrong operation, however I was then dosed up with morphine and told it was normal, I later found out this pain was because of a nerve that runs from your digestive system to your left shoulder, for the following week I had this pain on and off, I'm not going to lie it was not pleasant.

Recovery in the hospital was a little longer than expected, I belive this was due to the fact that I was told by nurses to try and eat soup only a few hours after the op, and was being given several different tablets to swallow, this meant I actually kept being sick, aggravating the operation recovery, once they put me on IV pain relief and stopped suggesting I ate, I started to feel better.

Once home, my recovery was much better, the first week, understandably was the worse, lots of tenderness, lack of appetite and very lethargic, but this soon improved.

After three weeks I was eating solid foods again, albeit not large amount or anything like bread/biscuits!

And unfortunately food was just running back out of me. (not pleasant I know)

Since the operation, I have not had the slightest bit of indigestion/heartburn, I am on no medication and can eat just about anything.

My one downside from the operation is that my IBS is definitely worse than it was before, and as much as I hate this, I feel it's a small price to pay to help prevent the Barratts I was diagnosed with back in January 2015.

If anyone wants to know more details about my experience etc, I'm happy to answer people's questions more directly, if they think it will help them in making a decision on surgery, as I certainly struggled before but I can safely say 5 months in I don't regret it!

Steph

5 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mrs Stephanie66456,

I found out 5 years ago I had Pre Barretts. Had GERD so bad was to the point in my life I was now eating baby food, yogurts, jellos, chciken broth, ice cream , home made yogurt pops. to make a long story short I had a ''Hiatus Hernia'' I would reflux really bad during my sleep to where my hernia was pulling my stomach into my esophagus and then it was to the point where bi was coming up also. So had my surgeries June 1st 2016, it has been 4 days post surgery for me. I had Laparoscopy  ''Hiatus Hernia'' an ''Nissen Fundoplication'' Surgery. I was also bless with an awesome doctor from Baton Rouge. I am unable to drive for 2 weeks In 2 weeks i am able to add soft whole foods to my diet,

My question to you is, it is so very hard for me to even swollen just water, juice, chicken broth, any liquids. it feels like it is all stuck in my esophagus. I dont want to sound like I am baby, about all this .HOW LONG will it be before I get to start feeling the liquids ARE NOT  sitting in my esophagus?? thanks for you taken the time to answer my quetions. God Bless

• Posted

Hi. It took me a long while to loose that stick feeling. I actually struggled with liquids more than say mash potato, jelly and things that had a bit more than just liquid. Give it time, you've suffered so long that in a few months this period of time won't mean much to you.

When I first saw my consultant 3 weeks after the op, because I was still struggling with swallowing they were considering if it was too tight and I maybe needed to go back into theatre, however that next week everything started to get better.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie.

I just had my fundoplication and hiatal hernia surgery on July 22. I am 3 days post post op.

Before my surgery I was constantly throwing up, coughing through the night, feeling of a lump in my throat, and a voice that was getting raspier by the day. I had the scope done, the barium test done with both showing severe reflux. I was a good candidate for surgery. So I discussed it with the surgeon. I dont regret having surgery one bit. The pros out numbered the cons if I didn't have it done.

I was released from the hospital on soft foods. I do feel sometimes like food is "caught" but I know I have to learn how to eat and drink slow.

I'm so glad to hear your surgery went well.

• Posted

Hi Steph, great to hear that you had great success with your surgery. I had the Nissan fundo and hiatus hernia repair in sep. 2015. Took me 3 months to get back to a normal diet, it was very slow - but I eventually got there, and was able to eat mostly everything, except drink wine! but found that I still had to be on the medication 80mg a day of Nexium. No heart burn while I was on this medication. But since of late - 2 months ago I have started to have the heart burn again, especially in the evening and at night. And now it's happening during the day as well. Not sure what's going on with me.

not that keen on seeing the GI dr. Again, coz I am thinking what else is he going to be able to do for me? Sorry have been just a bit depressed.

if anyone has any advice, happy to hear them.

i also have diabetes so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

my iron levels have been very low, and am on some iron injections once a fortnight.

• Posted

The Nexium is irritating your stomach lining, your Dr should have given you a proton pump inhibitor or ranitidine, it's not good stuff that Nexium, its renowned for causing stomach irritation, I had the Nissan 20 years ago, no indigestion whatsoever, its definitely your meds causing the reflux.

• Posted

Dear Stephanie

Could you please advise me - I am suffering- lump in my thoat - hoarse voice - pain in chest - coughing loads which then makes me sick.  I have a H. Hernia, and also been diagnosed with Barretts. When I told my consultant about the above he just agrees with me, I asked about having an op and he said that you can tighten it too much and will have trouble passing food down. My question is did you have to pay privately, can I push him and say I want the op under the NHS. I am 61 and feeling very miserable. At present I am booked to see him April 2018 for another test for my Barretts. 

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Sue,

My name is Vickie and I am 56 yrs old. Haven't been on this site as much since my surgery on 3/29/16 but when I read your post I had to respond. I have been where you are and I know what all of your symptoms feel like because I had all of them & more. I got to a point where I was throwing up ever single time I ate and had dropped 46 pounds since August of 2015. I was miserable!! You can't wait until 2018. Not sure how bad your hernia is but mine was my entire stomach!!  I would advise finding another Dr or ask to be referred to a surgeon and if your current Dr won't do that for you I would find another Dr.  By 2018 the damage that can be done could be irreversable. I too had constant heartburn, terrible acid reflux, coughing, hoarse voice to the point that i would completely loose my voice for 3 weeks at a time.  I have some damage to my voicebox (scar tissue) and also will continue to have my Barretts checked every few years but since my surgery I have had NO heartburn or reflux or coughing or any of the symptoms that I was suffering from before. Sometimes you have to take your health into your own hands. I wish you the best!!  

• Posted

Vickie - Thank you so very much for replying. I feel on my own with this. I keep getting chest infections... the thought is that the acid is getting into my lungs. Have you heard of this happening before? How do you find out how big the hernia is ? The doctor said again today, that the surgery is very big and can go wrong, and they try to keep it under control with pills.... I am on 40 mg Omeprazole per day. 

Sue

• Posted

I have heard of this before. I had some problems with those same symptoms as well. Have you had an Endoscopy done yet? I too was on the same meds at the 80 mg rate at first because I had so much damage to my esophagus that it was bleeding and I was in the hospital for anemia due to the bleeding and has to receive 2 units of blood. That medicine kills the acid in your stomach which is what digests your food. I was waking up at night with completely in digested food in my mouth because of this medication. That's what all of the PPI - Proton Pump Inhibitors meds do. I stopped taking it. If you have not had an endoscopy at this point you need to ask for one. Keep me posted on your progress. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

• Posted

Hi Sue. I have just officially joined this site after just previously visiting to pick up information and reassurance from others.

I read your post, and some of your symptoms were the same as mine. The first step forward is to ask your Dr if you can have an Endoscopy (micro camera down your throat). This should confirm whether or not you have a Hiatus Hernia, the type and the size. After that the Consultant you get referred to will determine whether you need surgery or just keep on medication.

I found that different Dr's had different views on Hernia repair. Some we're all for it, others said avoid if possible. I just had to think, well thousands of people have it done, and with modern keyhole surgery it's a lot better than years ago. I think the main problem seems to ly with how tight they do the "wrap". My Consultant favoured a partial 180° wrap which means there's still a reasonable space for food to pass through.

If your Dr. won't recommend you for an Endoscopy a Barium Swallow (drinking lemon flavoured liquid and having chest x-rays taken) is another alternative. Good luck if you are still in limbo.

Krisee

• Posted

Hi Sue, I like you was suffering terribly with acid issues, I am a singer and was permanently losing my voice and like you was suffering repeatedly with chest infections which were definitely being caused by acid going into my lungs. Getting the antacids intake right did improve the chest infection problem but not the problems with my voice. There are many tests they can do which your doctor should be able to organise for you quite simply but you have to push to get things done. I had a procedure where they tipped me upside down in a machine and showed that I had a hiatus hernia and then about 4 years ago I had a tube up my nose and into my stomach for 24 hours to measure my acid levels .. the acid level in your stomach should not be above 6 and it should be negligible in your oesophagus ... I had this test done and just received a letter saying I had severe acid reflux, I was going to leave it at that and just continue with the antacids! It was only after my brother, who also regularly had a hoarse voice like me, develop throat cancer last year, that I went back to the doctor to push again as I did not want to put my body at any further risk from this acid exposure. At this point they looked at the results of this test I had and actually the levels in my stomach which shouldn't have been above 6 were at 27 and in my oesophagus where they should have been negligible and definitely less than 6, they were at 25!!! .. I was told I should have had the operation 4 years ago! They finally pushed things through and I had my operation on the 7th of last month. I'm not going to lie it hasn't been easy, initially they tied it too tight and worse than that the ward allowed me to drink four jugs of water afterwards so I literally had nowhere for the water to go that was a pretty unpleasant experience! I was kept in hospital and they finally re-operated about 4 days later. This time it was a success and quite soon after I was able to eat a yoghurt. I can only eat small amounts of food at the moment and I am still experiencing quite a bit of abdominal pain and wind, but I can burp which is a good sign. Unfortunately I had just started a new job and had to go back to work straight away so haven't had time to rest .. I was getting terrible pains in my chest so went back to the doctor last week and was told I had pneumonia, just to add to everything, but the antibiotics for that are now working and last night I did my first gig and my voice was the best it has ever been. I know this recovery period isn't going to be easy and I came on this blog today because I was worried that perhaps I was going to be like this forever, but I realise now that it can take months to get back to normal which has made me feel much better about everything. I know that in the long run I have done the best thing the fact that my voice is already massively improved shows me just how bad the acid was attacking me ... so a few months of pain to possibly prevent what my brother is going through is 100% worth it. Tell your doctor you want the tests .. good luck x

• Posted

Yes you must! I more so told my Dr I was having it, and you Dr is telling Porkies, I've had it best thing ever, you must insist on having it, don't take for answer, get a second opinion, Barretts will develop into cancer of the esophagus, demand a Nissan you're a perfect candidate and I wouldn't wait until April either, get back to him or preferably a different Dr, do they understand the severity of Barretts? If you get cancer of the Esophagus the Mortality rate 3% I'm not trying to scare you just for you to put a boot up your Drs ass and demand it asap, I know I would, do not take no for an answer you're a perfect candidate for the operation.

• Posted

I just had several biopsies taken...my malady is Chrohn's colitis. When I am leaving home either I do not eat or I eat bread.

The Barrett's showed up on a CAT scan.

Things are complicated by myasthenia gravis.

Thank you so much for sharing. Good to know about the left shoulder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.