Barretts issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

i just had an gastroscopy done and they suspect barrets mucosa/epithelium im getying pains discomfort under my brest bone and stomach plis headaches pains in arms legs neck plus weird sensations on my skin is this normal as im really scared that its sonething more serious

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I assume they did a biopsy as that is the only way to definitely determine if you have Barrett's esophagus (BE). Gastroenterologist's see a lot of cases and over time usually have a good idea for what BE looks like. They typically make an initial preliminary diagnosis based on what they see at the time of the endoscopy. I am sure they took a tissue sample to do a biopsy. Have the results come in? If the results are positive for intestinal metaplasia (IM), you have BE. That is the technical definition and marker for BE. Beyond that, there is IM without dysplasia (good) or with dysplasia (bad).

Hope your biopsy report is good.

• Posted

I've read a lot that barret's is often overdiagnosed and later found that the patient does not have it. I think doing a biopsy is the way of confirming. Yet I've had one diagnose it without doing a biopsy and I feel doubtful that I actually have it. I had inflammation at the time (which was actually worsened by the endoscopy and unnecessary removal of a polyp).

I can't say for sure what was going on with all the symptoms you were having. I don't remember having all of those when I had stomach/acid issues. Could've been coincidence that you had something going on at the same time as with your stomach.

Hopefully you got to feeling better and getting things figured out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.