Probable Barretts

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have Grade D oesophagitis (I knew this for a few years), my last Endoscopy (12 days ago) he said probably barretts. It mentioned patchy areas on the report. He took 2 biopsies which I'm still aiting for the results of. I also have a large hiatus hernia. I'm a 36 year old woman.

Is it good or bad news waiting longer for results ? What exactly are they looking for ? If I have this from age36 will it reduce my life expectancy ? I didn't ask anything because I was still affected from the sedation. Any advice would be appreciated please

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hope you got answers and are feeling better.

I've read that barett's is commonly over-diagnosed and found later in another scope to not be the case. A biopsy would be the way to confirm, because just visual inspection seems to produce false positives sometimes. That may be what he is doing the biopsy for, to confirm or not.

From all that I've gathered, even if you are diagnosed with barret's, it does not mean that you're going to have a lower life expectancy and a lot of (or even most) people with it never go on to develop cancer at all.

I was told I had it but there was no biopsy done and I don't have symptoms of it at this point, so I like to think mine was a misdiagnosis. I also was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia (though not large), and sometimes people have those without even knowing that they do. For some they can cause issues and there are procedures that can be done if needed to help with them, from what I've heard from someone who has and have read.

Hopefully you're doing well and not worrying too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.