Horrible symptoms, worried!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 26 and for the past 4 years have experienced horrible acid reflux and trouble swallowing. At first it was just meat, pasta and bread but now it's pretty much everything other than liquid. Often the food will get stuck, and it always goes down really slow. I also have constant shortness of breath and pressure on my chest. I been to my doctor many times about this and the last time I seen her I got laughed at for being worried about cancer and told I will have an endoscopy but there will not be a rush on it, I have to wait 6 months or more. What makes this even harder is I am pregnant and the last time I was pregnant 2 years ago I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Being laughed at for being worried about cancer when I've already been there is extremely frustrating. I'm here hoping to learn more from others about this until I can eventually get checked. I'd like to know if my symptoms could just be from bad acid reflux and not Barrett's or esophageal cancer? Everything I have read about swallowing issues this bad comes back as cancer. Is it even possible to have esophageal cancer at 26? Do any of you have problems with swallowing and food getting stuck and not have Barrett's or cancer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Barrett's doesnt hurt and people who have barretts do not have any major symptoms. Symptoms are from GERD. Esophagus cancer at age 26 is literally impossible. You would have to have GERD for at least 10 years which was untreated to even think about cancer. 

Don't worry too much and wait till your endoscopy

• Posted

Whereas it is possible to develop oesophageal cancer at your age (there was a case of a 19 year old woman with it a couple of years ago (she survived it) ) , it's extremely unlikely.

There are many reasons why swallowing may be difficult. A tumour is only one possibility but the chances really are extremely small. I would suggest in your case it's your pregnance that could be exacerbating your symptoms.

You have poor motility. See this page for more information: https://patient.info/health/difficulty-swallowing-dysphagia

"Cancer of the oesophagus (oesophageal cancer) is uncommon in the UK. Most cases occur in people over the age of 55" It is also far more likely in men than women.

In the meantime, stress will make things worse.

Some years ago, I was under considerable stress at work and experienced the same problems with foods sticking. I remember lying on a concrete floor bashing my chest trying to dislodge a really painfully stuck piece of chicken breast and hoping nobody would walk in as they'd thing I was having a heart attack.

I do have Barrett's - and had it unchanged for at least 23 years. But, as is typical, it was discovered in me as a middle aged white male.

• Posted

I have reflux, barrettes and had dysplasia stage 1. What I found is raising the head of the bed 4" by putting something under the legs of the head of the bed only. Guess what that didn't help me. I did think about this and realized reclining acid comes up from your stomach faster than when standing. I now raised the head of my bed up 19" higher than the foot of the bed by using patio blocks. I found that really helped my reflux. I am still on the meds prescribed but I also found my dysplasia went away on the next EGD test and I have had about 3 more edgs and still no dysplasia. It the dysplasia got worse I would have to go for painful surgery due to it being closer to cancer of esophagus. I got very used to the angle of the bed but do slide down and have to climb up at night. My reflux is not as bad anymore even when I cheat a little. I do know it is hard but do what you can and stay calm, that is very important. I know and you do also we have to deal with what comes our way, but making yourself sick now is not good for you in anyway. If something shows up you will then have to deal with it but no reason to deal with it now so please relax and have a beautiful baby. I was told I have cancer and then another dr said I do not and I was already getting crazy. I now have learned to deal with what actually comes my way that I will have to deal with. I do have many medical conditions and am a senior. I did learn the hard way to just get a second diagnoses and if I have a problem deal with it at that point. Hard to do but I am now doing this. If you do raise the head of the bed do not fall off. When I go on vacation which will not be anytime now due to the virus I feel I am sleeping up side down, kind of. I thought this will make you laugh. Just do what you can to stay well and hope for the best, that is what I do. In no way do I want to upset you. Take care.

• Posted

I have Barretts aswell, It worries me terribly. I had the fundoplication surgery to stop acid backing up into my food pipe. Absolutely terrified. I've had it about 3 or 4 years now but I had the surgery in 2017. Have you considered the reflux surgery?

• Posted

Hi Angela. I had the same issue with my food not going all the way down when I'd swallow. I would have to drink water to push it down. And it didn't matter how much I chewed my food either it would still stick. I had a endoscopy done. I don't have acid reflux but apparently a hiatal hernia , and food allergies that cause my esophagitis. Which is probably what you have. They stretched out my esophagus. That usually does the trick for most people I think .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.