Cough and feeling of something stuck in my throat

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus about a year and a half ago.  My Dr put me on 40mg of Omeprazole and told me to come back for a rountine endoscopy in 3 years.  Haven't really had any issues since I have silent acid reflux, so no heartburn or anything.  However, about 4 months ago I developed a cough.  Went to my primary Dr who said it was allergies.  A month later still had the cough and went back to the Dr.  Was told I had a respirtory infection and was put on antibiotics.  A month later, still coughing and now doing a lot of throat clearing and feeling of something stuck in my throat.  Decided to go to an ENT.  He said it was my acid reflux so he changed my medication to Dexilant.  It has now been a month and a half since my medicine change and I still have this horrible cough, and the feeling of something stuck in my throat.  I don't have any problems swallowing anything.  I have an appt with my GI in 2 weeks, but wondered if anyone else has ever had this problem and any ideas of what it could be?? TIA

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think that PPIs aren't meant for you since you don't have the burning. Silent reflux is challenging. Chris- Barretts will answer your question I believe he had a simillar issue and Nissen worked for him. Do you have any sides effects from PPIs up until now?

• Posted

I have not really had any side effects.  If I don't take the PPIs I do notice I have alot of gurgling in my stomach, which the Dr. said was the acid. 

• Posted

It's acid. I've had this problem for a year. It's horrible. I was put on 80mg of nexium for the past 4 months and 300mg radinitine at bedtime 40 days ago. They told me it can take months for the acid to go down. I was feeling better two weeks ago but symptoms are back now. Not as bad but still there.

• Posted

Thank you David.  If that's what it is I hope my GI can get it fixed.  I can almost tollerate the feeling of something stuck in my throat, it is the coughing that is killing me....  When I was changed to Dexilant over a month ago, the ENT said it could take about a month.  But there has been no change at all.  The cough almost seems worse.

• Posted

Hi kim66556

I too have this sensation of something stuck in my throat n had a terrible cough..... I couldn't finish talking a sentence without coughing.... it lasted a good 6-7 months after i starded esomaprazole .... it has got better but because I regurgitate and have been told my oesophagus has become acid sensitive to due to gerd overtime.am waiting to have linx fit in as my gastro said that shud help.

• Edited

hi kim, i have started having the same issue with my throat having the feeling of something stuck in my throat, kinda like a tickle or scratchy that comes and goes and i have a dry cough. at night it is so bad it is affecting my sleep and i am exhausted from coughing all night long. i took every allergy and cough medicine over the counter and also went to the dr about it. i have recently found out that i have thyroid disease which was gone undiagnosed or rather misdiagnosed for 10 years, the Dr's couldn't figure out what was wrong and why i was so sick. I have hyperthyroidism and lost a ton of weight and was super weak, so long story short VUMC ER found out that it was my thyroid levels were a bit off and i was so grateful that finally i had a reason for being so sick and a direction to go in finally. then it dawned on my that my mother had thyroid disease and had to get a portion of her thyroid removed, but the thing is she too always had a cough like the feeling of something stuck in her throat, so her thyroid was growing inward instead of outward which is most common in having a goiter developing from thyroid disease. so the dr is sending me for a thyroid ultrasound to see if there is any kind of abnormalities with my thyroid, like growing or if theres any nodules growing on it. i feel like i'm going in the right direction with this with really no help from any dr's because i was the one that told the dr what i needed and why. i am constantly doing research on thyroid disease and educating myself so i can understand this disease so i can better take care of myself. you have to make sure to be firm with the dr's and go in and tell them what you want for yourself because you are the only person that knows when something is not right with your body. you have to stand up to the dr's and ask a ton of questions, educate yourself and go in there with a list of questions and if they don't have time to answer or act like they are in a rush like 99% of dr's do now a days find another dr. just what ever you do don't give up although it may seem sometimes there is no light at the end of the tunnel. i wish you luck and take care.

• Posted

Hope things turned out well for you. You're right about having to push with doctors sometimes, and they certainly aren't always right and don't always want to listen. Sometimes they have to play the game of the insurance companies, but sometimes they can choose to do things they don't. Some of them don't even know to do them or where to look, because they don't have that experience or enough of it, or don't specialize in that area.

In the end, knowing your body and what feels right or wrong sometimes can help. And it can be good to get information from other professionals and sources to help, like you said. I've been in a position of having to suggest things too, and that has turned out to be right before.

Good luck with your health.

• Posted

I know this post isn't new, and hopefully you're doing better now.

I was diagnosed with that as well, however, I've read that it is often misdiagnosed (over-diagnosed). And I never had issues aside from during that time period (when I actually had a lot of stomach inflammation and some issues that may be what made it appear that way). I was actually feeling better before I went for the endoscopy (just kept the appointment and let them do it to see what they saw), and the procedure actually made me much worse than ever, by far. I was having issues I'd never had in my life. I thought the doctor had messed something up, and was told the issues I was having shouldn't be happening after a scope, but they tried to blame it on things they said they saw... yet as I said, I was doing pretty well before that scope. The doc was low-rated and also unnecessarily removed a polyp which may have further irritated an already inflamed stomach.

I was unable to eat anything, no matter how small or plain, without major issues. I had to eat a few bites here, wait a long time, a few bites there. I had the lump in the throat feeling a lot, drove me crazy, had never had that before either. I forget if I coughed, I may have. I did have the throat clearing going on. I thought it wasn't going to get better, and they tried to push meds at me too. But... I didn't feel they really helped and also some of them can do more harm. I noticed that when I was able to rest for days, my symptoms seemed to ease up. As long as I was very gentle with how I ate during that time of healing. I told them I think I needed time off to rest, pushed them to give me a little bit, but they still tried to argue and say I just had to take these meds. I didn't take them for long and tried my way instead. And it turned out to be right...

I just needed time. Even if a while. And rest, because even movements could irritate the inflammation. I needed to be gentle and avoid things that could irritate it. For a long while. But it healed. I have minor issues here and there, maybe due to a small hernia (which for some causes issues and for some doesn't at all).

I've read about and have known others who have had horrid acid/stomach issues for years and then when they avoided all triggers and gave it time to heal for long enough, and started a healthier lifestyle, eventually it got better for them too, and they are able to have those triggers in moderation now, as I can.

Good luck, hopefully things are going better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.