24 yr. old with Asperger's

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 24 year old son is about 6 credits away from Ass. Degree. Was going to school to be an X-ray tech and hospital stopped program just as he was about to transfer. He just doesn't know what to do now. He doesn't feel comfortable around people, doesn't have a lot of confidence ( recently dropped Chemistry course, claimed he would fail, can drive but anxiety prevents him from getting his license, rarely leaves house, has no friends, has never dated, etc...I'm sooo worried about his future!!! I would be very appreciative of any suggestions! Trying to hold back the tears. 😥

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My son too is 24. Crappy childhood due to school hardships and no friends and bullying and lack of adult understanding.

Honestly, it sounds like anxiety is his issue here. Finishing his schooling would mean that he would have to deal with real people in a real job daily on his own. Very different than school when someone is there to help. That's a scary thought so he quits because he feels he won't be able to cope.

I think anti anxiety meds would do him a world of good. I am on them and could not function without them. They slow my anxious heart race and make me feel I can slow down and think better. There is a chemical imbalance in an anxious brain and the meds just fill in the gaps. It doesn't mean he is crazy - he's just missing some chemicals.

You can look into it with him. He can try it temporarily to see if it works. Don't push him . It had to be his decision. Use humour to alleviate any blame or guilt or shame.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.