24h monitor!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had the 25h monitor on today! But it's fishing out reading at 200+/100+ I don't know whether to worry or just put it down to the anxiety of having it go off every 30 minutes! It's never been this high before and was 123/73 this morning! rolleyes anyone else got any advice or Experience?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There is definitely something about knowing that you are being monitored. It is likely to raise your numbers. I have personally been finding that hibiscus tea has been an amazing addition to my meds. I make a pot every morning and drink it throughout the day my numbers have dropped substantially.
    • Posted

Let me know if you see a reduction. I know that not every remedy works for everyone but I was so impressed with my results that I had to share, plus it's low cost and not harmful in any way, good luck

• Posted

So is the Ramipril as a result of these somewhat ludicrous readings you had on the 24 hr monitor?  Didn't you say they agreed something wasn't quite right yet they have still started you on medication and ignored your own readings? Or have I missed something?  Medication does tend to be for life more's the pity. sad

• Posted

jane243...I agree totally with what you wrote to Vaultdweller111. What I'm finding a lot on these forums is that people seem to be led like a lost lamb. They come onto the forum asking about certain things, yet they don't stand up for themselves. A patient has every right to as questions of their doctor if they don't understand something or disagree with something. IF those people had said to me they agreed something wasn't right with the readings on the monitor or there was something wrong with the monitor itself, then you can bet I'd be challenging as to 'why' they want me taking medication without investigating further. 

• Posted

I agree with what you say Mike but some of my friends feel really intimidated when seeking advice from their GP.   My own GP gave me a very hard time when I said I did not want to start taking medication until I'd had the opportunity to try making lifestyle changes first - especially as all the off-the-scale readings I'd had were all connected with particularly stressful occasions.  I've made real progress.  Arthritis prevents me from doing any vigorous workouts (and age!) but Tai Chi, relaxation techniques and breath control, along with dietary adjustments, all make a huge difference.  It was worth standing up to the GP and his reliance on meds.  I am not saying this would be right for everyone but it is right for me.

• Posted

When I was diagnosed after a health check and subsequent 24 hr monitor I was just phoned by the receptionist at the surgery and told to make an appointment to see the dr. i didn't even know the result of the 24hr monitor.  Up till then I'd never met my assigned dr  and  in the end he rang me and  told me flatly that I'd need to go on meds, he just bluntly said that I wouldn't be able to make enough difference on my own. He was just so arrogant that I was glad he was on the phone and not face to face. i did make an appt to be seen but not by him as I knew he would just be a bully. I saw one of the female drs who was actually a friend of my daughter and who I trusted not to over medicate me but what's more to listen to me.  She let me run on for a month or more before saying that if I was her mother she would be jumping up and down and insisting that I took the tablets. so I did: but am so glad I didn't allow the first dr to bully me.

• Posted

Well done, Jane!  I think we all make better progress when we've had the chance to be involved with the decisions regarding our treatment,

• Posted

I saw 4 doctors that week and the ony one who had concern was the one who originally sent me for the tests!!

They were still high on my own monitor so I can see why medication was prescribed! 

• Posted

The doctor actually called me and said she didn't want me to wait for an appointment, she wanted me started on something straight away! 

She's been really nice about it actually, even told me all about her own experience with bp and said she's so on top of it because she has and is experiencing it herself!

• Posted

I'm not at all "like a lost lamb" My redings were higher than should be on my own monitor, just not as crazyily high as on the hospitals... I did actually challenge them and after an hour of conversing also came to the conclusion that prevention is much better than walking around with the general risk of a stroke at 23... Now investigation is underway and all health checks are being done... I don't see why you have such an issue with people actually taking their Dr's advice or why you feel the need to push people to constantly question a professional when I can myself feel and know there is something not quite right with MY body... rolleyes

• Posted

Well I'm no medic but that's crazy. Life style adjustment is usually the first  line to address. i think you've been scared by talk of stroke etc. You are only 23 and I must have missed something in the thread as I thought I'd understood your own monitor was recording lower readings than the 24hr thing, although how did you know what the thing was recording, they ususally have to be downloaded after the time is up then transcribed - or whatever.

• Posted

jane243..I agree with you totally. Sometimes though, it's possible to see the reading at the time the machine squeezes the arm, then releases..but the numbers are only seen for a second or two. Personally, I don't think this is a good idea for the patient to see because it can cause anxiety in them, making them wonder what the reading is, etc.etc. You're right on another count too...usually lifestyle changes are suggested before medications are prescribed. 

• Posted

It had a screen and I popped it out of the holder when it was reading! I then tested it against my own which was high but not as high as the hospitals monitor! 
    • Posted

Also they have no concern over my lifestyle as I go to the gym, swim, eat properly etc. The only issues they're concerned about it BP and hormone levels! As both take lots of investigating they couldn't well leave me to walk around as I was! 

• Posted

They have obviously changed somewhat in the 4   years since I had one. Back then they parped off every hr and half hr during the night but nothing was visible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.