24hr reflux results and manometry.... now confused

Posted , 5 users are following.

Right I was diognosed back in June with Barrets c5m3 after years of issues I'm a 34 yr old female on 80mg per day of omeprazole I recently got sent for the manometry and reflux tests to determine if I was going to be sent for funduplaction surgery, today I went for my results this was the outcome , Had to have more blood tests as they found my oesophagus isn't working properly and found a hernia but the doc I see was a stand in who don't know about upper gi issues so can't tell me what the prob is exactly just that my oesophagus s not working properly now got to wait till June 27th to see my consultant , I asked with the hernia should I stop the heavy lifting I do at work she said no that's no problem (which didn't seem right ) and now I'm worried about what she means by my oesophagus not working properly

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you take your meds daily, for who long?  80mg omeprazole is a high dose. Didnt' 40mg work ? Have you experienced any sides?. 

When the GI says that your esophagus is not working properly this means that your sphincter is not closing as it should be. Don't worry that's nomal for the majority of GERD sufferers. Hiatal Henira contributes negatively to your reflux. This is my problem as well.

• Posted

It's most probable that all of us with Barrett's have a hiatus hernia. It was responsible for the malfunction of the Lower Oesophageal Sphincter permitting the reflux of acid that caused the Barrett's as the body's defence against digesting itself.

If the manometry results are satisfactory and you have your fundoplication, that will fix the hiatus hernia as well as stopping the reflux. I had it 9 years ago - best thing I ever did.

• Posted

Hey Artsy

Yes most people with Barrett's have a hiatal hernia, but not every with a hiatal henia gets Barrett's.

I feel you on the reflux. My esophagus doesn't shut properly either and still get regurgitation from time to time, once at night while I was sleeping. I woke up gagging and choking - scary stuff.

I'm on 80mg of protonix daily which is a very high dose. It helps tremendously. If i miss a dose I can certainly feel it.

• Posted

I decreased mine to 20mg pantoprazole daily and if taken at the same time in the morning it helps tremendously!! I was also on 80mg but I decided to drop it. With 20 mg I don't feel any sides. Wouldn't 40mg be enough for you?

• Posted

80mg Protonix (pantoprazole) is the normal high dose equivalent to 40mg omeprazole and 60 mg lasoprazole. Some of us are (or have been) on doube that.

(Normal maintenance dose is 40mg panto = 30mg lanso = 20mg omep. )

• Posted

I can get away with 40mg most of the time. There are days that 40 isn't enough and by days end the reflux is chirping. I really try to not forget /skip a dose.

• Posted

How long have you been on them continously? Have you experienced any sides?
    • Posted

Hi thank you all for responding I've been on 80mg daily now since June as nothing else they tried worked, however I'd say for the last month or so these are not working either. Will just have to wait and see what my consultant has to say next month about what course of action to take

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.