25% of CP patient doesn't have pain.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with CP a year ago. As long as I behave myself no fatty foods, no alcohol, etc, I feel well. Is my pancreas still being damaged? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Norbert

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

yes. no cure for the disease wether chronic or acute. Damage is done anf ot becomes a pain management exercise as well as lifestyle management
    • Posted

Many thanks Robin for your advice.

Best regards, Norbert

• Posted

Hi Norbert,

I am in a similar position. As long as I watch my diet/lifestyle I am fine. Hardly any pain at all.

Once pancreas is damaged there is no way back thouhg. 

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi nettie76045,

Thanks for you advice. I have quit alcohol completely for over a year now. I living a pain free life for the moment, and I just hope it remains like that for more years to come. But some doctors do not believe that i've got CP. They believe that a CP patient should have a lot of pain and amylase level should be 500 u/l plus. They call it mild acute pancreatitis.

• Posted

CP is a progressive disease but you could well die of old age before it packs in completely. Don't smoke or drink alcohol, eat sensibly, and don't over exert yourself.
    • Posted

Thanks Stuart13. I just hope it does not detoriorate and starts getting nasty.
  • Posted

Amylase is only raised during a flare-up and even when when CP is advanced it may never increase. Doctors should know this.
  • Posted

Hi Norbert. I have a similar experience as I have never had the dire pain described by others. And if I eat VERY carefully. no alchohol, I am not ill. I understand that not every pancreatitis sufferer has the pain. I keep my fingers crossed,
    • Posted

Same here Sue. No pain, just a slight burning feeling from time to time.

I think we are lucky, although keeping fingers crossed as well.

• Posted

Have you done CT scan of your pancreas lately? It is important to know whether there are calcification present. This will at least give you an indication on where you stand. I did mine in April last year and everything was normal. But my level of amylase keeps going up. Now my doctor want me to do an Utra sound which I will do in maybe 3 month time. The reason I ask is that, at times when there is no calcification, doctors tell you not to worry. Sometimes they don't even believe it's chronic but said mild attacks when we behave nasty. So what do you think?
    • Posted

Oh yes, thanks for asking. I have had CT scans, last year most recently, and ultra sound. All show "severe calcification", Good news is it hasn't deteriorated more for the last 4 years, which may be due to luck (?) or to my careful lifestyle, Having said careful I am quite physically fit & very busy in my life, it;s just around eating & drinking I am so modest.
  • Posted

I had a ultra sound/endoscopy last September. It showed inflammation, scar tissue, cysts, and slight clacification. My amylase was ok.

Having another major check up in a couple of months, just to see whether it is stable or not.

Dr said there is nothing he can do for me in the meantime. If (!!) I get pains : "I will see you in A and E"   is what he said.

I fear the pains but they might never come which makes me try and forget about CP. It's still always there in the back of my mind though.

If your amylase is raised it is an obvious sign that something is wrong whether it is chronic or acute.

I am proof that having CP does not automatically mean Pain. Maybe that goes for you as well... Hope so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.