25 y.o. with GERD and Esophaghitis. Please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with GERD and esophaghitis three years ago after an endoscopy, gastro gave me ppis for three months and after that I lived mostly a normal life for the next two years as long as I followed a diet low on reflux triggers. However exactly a year ago the symptoms came back worst than ever. I took ppis for three more months but as soon as I got off them the symptoms come back.

The doctor did another endoscopy and to my surprise he actually saw a lot of improvement. He gave me ppis for one more month and I started feeling better. However, I started eating more food in order to gain weight. (Ive always been skinny) But the food was still based on low acid reflux diet, still it screwed me up again. Fast foward 6 months, I cant even fo to work because I feel bad almost everyday.

To make matters worse, for the past year Ive been dealing with heart palpitations that constantly scare the crap out of me. The cardiologist says my heart is fine snd to avoid coffe and stress, but that has not helped much. Sometimes I wonder if those could be related to my gerd.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I absolutely think that GERD can cause those symptoms. What PPI did he give you. Acid backflow into the esohagus can cause problems. Remember to take Magnesium if you are going to be on PPI's for long periods of time. They deplete magnesium in the body, which is not  good thing. Magnesium keeps the heart rhythm relaxed. That could be why you are experiencing palps. Sometimes, I try to gain weight, and get into trouble with acid reflux. You have to eat lots of small meals throughout the day. Over eating can really bring the symptoms back. Or you can accept yourself like you are and be happy. Stress is also a trigger. 

• Posted

Hello elvira, thanks for your comment. The thing is my palpitations began two years before I started taking medications. However, I dont know if I might had a bit of gerd back then that I didnt notice.

The doctor prescribed me Dexilant. I took it for several months, and stoped it about two weeks ago as I felt dependent on them for too long. Now Im just taking peocid every morning and Malox during the day if I feel reflux.

• Posted

The palpitations could be due to anxiety about your symptoms.  Anxiety can cause GERD.  My GERD started because of exam stress as a student.  Although, my GERD has improved, I still get frequent bouts of acid which I control with over the counter antacids and milk.  Most of the time I get random heartburn that had not been caused by stress or food.  Sometimes, it is hormone related. 

Try distraction techniques such as exercise like walking or swimming; concentrate on a hobby.  Reducing stress wil help your symptoms as well as antacids and milk. I drink coffee but it doesn't cause me heartburn. However, it may be different for you.

If your second endoscopy showed improvement, do not worry.  Maybe you have a weak oesophageal sphincter that is letting the acid out.  My scope showed nothing but I was told my sphincter was probably weak,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.