25-year old nephew had liver sonogram - cirrhosis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 25-year old nephew recently had bloodwork done and had elevated liver numbers. His doctor ordered a sonogram, and now thinks that cirrohsis might be a possibility and is ordering additional tests. Huh, help?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a professional at all but did the sonogram show inflammation? Or did the physician just base that guess about cirrhosis on one blood test result?  My husband, a close friend of mine, and I have all had high liver numbers (AST and ALT) in our blood work that ended up being transient and nothing to worry about.  When this happened to all of us -- we are all non-alcoholic, exercising, healthy eating people in our 50s -- I did a lot of research on it and found that there is a lot of unnecessary and aggressive treatment of the 1 in 10 people whose test results come back with elevated liver numbers.  

• Posted

Thank you for writing. The sonogram showed unusual contours, which the doc said could indicate cirrhosis. He’s ordered a biopsy. I’m glad to hear you’re all okay.
    • Posted

I hope they're just acting out of caution and that someone with more information about unusual contours will post.  Very best wishes for him and for you and your family.

• Posted

Thank you so much, Kim. Doctors in this town do seem to be "test happy." He's also been on maintenance medication for a few years which has been known to elevate liver numbers, yet the doctor hasn't responded to that as a possibility. I wonder if lowering that dosage and then rechecking the bloodwork and another sono in six months would be a reasonable strategy. Yes, maybe someone with contour issues will comment. Thanks again, I appreciate your comments and good wishes.

• Posted

Cirrhosis at 25 years of age might be a new world record.  Still best to follow up on the unusual sonogram.  

I'd prefer a non-invasive fibroscan or fibrotest to biopsy though.  Biopsies are only required when alternate methods like the above mentioned imaging or blood lab liver tests come back alarming.  

Please look into these options before he consents to biopsy.  A web search for "Fibroscan" or "fibrotest" might prove enlightening.  I'm surprised his doc doesn't know about these.  

• Posted

This is enlightening, I will research the fibroscan. Thank you so much for taking time to comment. This is all very confusing right now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.