Skip to content

Liver Problems

Also known as Blood Test - Liver Function, Budd-Chiari Syndrome, Cholangitis, Cirrhosis of the Liver, Jaundice, LFTs - Liver Function Tests, Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, Wilson's Disease

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Liver disease

Hi. I’m a 41 yr old chap from the U.K. I’m not an alcoholic. I’m not dependent on the stuff. I just like a drink like most other people. I’ve just abused it over the past 5 years. Ive been drinking since I was 18 but I wouldn’t say excessively. Just the past 5 years.  I’ve just been told yesterday...

Last reply
  • Alcoholic Fatty Liver

Hi, I previously posted this a while back: Hi, I have posted before about my recent drinking binge which started in November 2017 with 10 pints of lager a night, due to my mother being diagnosed with cancer, she passed away in February and I have not been able to stop, for more than a day or two in...

Last reply
  • Liver adenoma, 5 cm, from birth control

Hi all, I have a mass on my liver that is 5cm and consistent with an adenoma caused by oral contraceptives. I saw a surgeon to talk about doing a laparoscopic liver biopsy, where they make an incision and directly biopsy the mass with a needle. The second option is to wait until December for another...

Last reply
  • Stage 4 secondary liver cancer - Barberry / Arctigenin

Recent, my 79 year old Grandmother was diagnosed with secondary liver cancer. 5 weeks ago she was diagnosed with Helicobacter Pylori, which then manifested in to an enlarged liver and Ascites (fluid in the abdomen). She has a severe lack of appetite and strong feelings of nausea. The cancer diagnoses...

Last reply
  • Focal Nodular Hyperplasia, 38 year old male

The facts:  38 year old male in good health Caucasian, Western European  6’2/180 pounds Fit and active Ex smoker & drinker (quit both 6.5 yrs ago) No evidence of cirrhosis or fibrosis  No hepatitis  No history of steroid use No other known risk factors All blood tests normal ...

Posted
  • procedure for 24 hour urine copper

Hi, I have a question about 24 hour copper urine test. I urinated into a large container over a 24 hr period then i poured some urine into a much smaller sample container and sent that off to be tested. My question is, is that an accurate way to test, or should they have used the whole 24 hr amount? 

Last reply
  • Cirrhosis of the liver

I just went to the ER for gastritis and I had an ultrasound and CT scan showing I have live cirrhosis but my blood work for liver function is normal. I also don’t have hepatitis and have never been a drinker. Any suggestions? 

Last reply
  • Abnormal liver function tests - no reaction from doctor

Hi dear people, I am 26 y/o, rather healthy, active female. As I am starting to write my 6 month long process of writing a master thesis, I decided to make sure I am healthy and all the functions are good, before entering this stressful journey, and reached out GP for a standard blood test. When...

Last reply
  • Ongoing RUQ pain - scared hypochondriac

Hello, didn't know whether to post this under liver or gallbladder, the liver is bigger so it wins LOL A small precursor discussion I started a while back: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pain-is-scaring-me-is-this-normal-for-ibs-647460 (I cannot believe I posted that 2 months ago, as I...

Last reply
  • I think I have liver disease and need some advice

Hi everyone I am new here. I went to the doctor last week and they did some blood tests. So my doctor thinks that I have fatty liver disease. Here are my results from the liver tests SGOT (AST) 44 U/L  SGPT (ALT) 71 U/L  What stage of liver disesae does this put me in? would it...

Last reply
  • PBC diagnosis and liver biopsy

I have had fluctuating ALT, AST and ALP for a little over a year.  Slightly high, then ALT up to 300.  Down to slightly high then normal.  The they went up to 600 with an ALP of 900 but were down in 24 hours.  My AMA was 35over a year ago and now it is 37.5.  No one bothered...

Last reply
  • Ascites

My husband has had ascites for 2 years. It has become a problem now because it has turned into jelly and the stomach is rock hard now. We have been to the gastro-enterologist with no help. Oncologist cang hlp either. If anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it

Last reply
  • Shoulder pain and liver function test

Ok so as a background I had my gallbladder removed in march. At the time I had a full blood count done and liver function test and all came back ok. I also had an ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder and thats how they found the problematic stone. For the last 2 weeks ive been having pain in my shoulder...

Last reply
  • Tramadol overdosing causing Liver and kidney problems?

Hi. I would like some insight into my mother's health woes that she has been dealing with lately, as she has been told she has scaring (fatty liver) and third-degree kidney damage. After my mom told me this last week my mind immediately went to her painkillers as the possible cause. For the...

Last reply
  • Death - Alcoholic Liver Disease

My ex-husband has just died from Alcoholic Liver Disease. He became very bloated round the abdomen and his urine output and bowel movements erratic. He was hardly able to move around in the last week. I noticed when he came to meet my daughter and I that his eyes were very yellow. It was obvious...

Last reply
  • Don't Understand CT Results.

My gf had been having significant pain in her right side just under her ribs for about 2 weeks now. Finally got her to go to er where they did xrays and CT scan. The ER didn't really explain the results just said her liver was inflamed and prescribed mobic and antibiotic for a uti and told her to...

Last reply
  • ALT 405, AST 383 in random test (no symptoms)

Hi, I wanna ask about any theories as I have to wait for my appointment for two weeks and I know the lab results already. My ALT and AST came back extremely high (as per title) and there is no cause I can see. Other labs are good, I have no liver symptoms, have no form of viral hepatitis (was done in...

Last reply
  • Unexplained Right Upper Quadrant Pain

Hello all -- I have some concerns about this nagging right upper quadrant pain that I have had for about 2 months. I have had blood tests done twice CBC, BMP, Amylase, Lipase, LFTs, and coags...all normal. I have had 2 abdominal ultrasounds both of which were normal, except I do have "diffuse...

Last reply
  • Convinced my blood tests are going to find something bad

Just turned 40, Ive been a heavy drinker for 10 years drinking 1-2 bottles of wine 4-5 nights a week . Last Saturday I drank 3 bottles of wine, I woke up at 5am next day as I had work at 7am that day. To try and sort myself out I drank 3 Monster energy drinks, I felt like crap but ok to got to work....

Last reply
  • I have ALT 55

Hi,  I am a slim 45 year old female .  I have  ALT 55  (my lab normal range is 7-53) , all the rest hepatic results are good.  ​I had  to take two antibiotics last month for throat/bronchitis  and this month I had to take a medicine for stomach parasites ,  could...

Last reply
  • NAFLD and fibroscan of 11.8

hi I'm new to this so please can anyone offer advise. Im male 58 years old. 12 months ago I had some routine blood test done as I had a rash under my arm. These showed high ferritin levels which kept increasing with each test. Doc sent me for a liver biopsy which came back with .. Clinical details-'illegible'....

Last reply
  • Weakened immune system

Hi I was diagnosed with cirrhosis at 26, back in 1996 and it's been 22 years of worrying about dying. However, I went back to school and got my bachelor's degree and now I've been accepted into nursing school. Life DOES go on after a diagnosis. My concern is that a have a low white...

Last reply
  • ALT ALP ALS result 10 times. ..worried

Todau, I had test and range come as below ALP- 149.92 U/L(42-130 standard range) ALT- 405.06 U/L. (2-41 standard value) AST- 253.33 U/L(2-40 standard value) What will be the result? What needs to be done to take it to low level.

Last reply
  • Nervous about getting fibroscan...Again

So next month will be my schedule test again for fibroscan. This is my 2nd time, as i was diagnosed with liver fibrosis last Dec. I've been so focus on my treatment, since then i only eat healthy foods and take exercise. I have lose 44pounds in 5 months, my weigh now is at 147 pounds. My ALT and...

Last reply
  • Are my meds causing yellow stool or is it something else?

Hello all. Starting off by stating that I am a huge hypochondriac and take every single minor thing and blow it out of proportion I have been having stomach problems for a few weeks now. It all started with intense hunger pangs and quickly suspected an ulcer because I would constantly crave food all...

Last reply
  • There is Hope - End Stage

Since joining the site I have read some really sad posts, mostly from people believing they are knocking on deaths doorstep from end stage liver disease relating to alcoholism. You need to know that the body is a VERY resiliant multicellular organism. It's entire Job is to keep you living...

Last reply
  • Please help me understand

Back in March I became ill with a nasty virus, I had to go to the er and they took my blood. My ast is 43 and my alt was 35. To be honest I was a  been a binge drinker for almost 2 years off and on.  I have just recently quit and hoping i haven’t done it too late. Have I done irreversible damage?...

Last reply
  • Relevance of GGT as an indicator of liver problem

Hello everyone, I have recently found this website and have already started a discussion not long ago, which helped me to better understand the role of liver enzymes during a blood test.  I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP because I had slightly raised liver enzymes since a little while...

Last reply
  • Questions about right side pain, other symptoms

Hello all, this is my first time posting. Good news: I am 50 days sober today after about a decade of hard drinking. Have only been tempted once or twice to get a drink and it passes very quickly. I feel more like a person who doesn't drink than a person who is trying not to drink. Bad news: What...

Last reply
  • Yellow eyes, tests all ok. What is going on

Hi, I am a regular poster as I have severe health anxiety.  I have been having a lot of stomach pain in the left and right hand side just below ribs.  GP pass it off as IBS and diverticulitis which I have.  I also have GERD, I think IBS/GERD all related.  I am 57 female and live in...

Last reply
  • Liver function tests

Hello everyone.  I have had mildly elevated liver enzymes (SGOT & SGPT & LDH) since about 1 or 2 years now, and more specifically since I had dengue fever in 2014. Not long after the dengue episode, they were noticed to be above their normal value at around 180 U/L or so I believe,...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.