There is Hope - End Stage

Posted , 66 users are following.

Since joining the site I have read some really sad posts, mostly from people believing they are knocking on deaths doorstep from end stage liver disease relating to alcoholism. You need to know that the body is a VERY resiliant multicellular organism. It's entire Job is to keep you living as long as possible to ensure the survival of the human race. With that said, if you astain from alcohol and follow the proper dietary requirements, the progression of Cirrhosis can be slowed to a snails pace and even halted in some cases. It is never to late, but you must STOP drinking as the body can't begin its healing process and deal with your abuse at the same time. I wish everyone well, and I pray daily for anyone and everyone who is effected by this horrible disease.

Love you all.

10 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I love your positive attitude, we both share this. I am awaiting a biopsy as unfortunately, like most, i have been through the years, wrongly diagnosis. Removing my gallbladder should have been the end to my raised liver function tests and pain, but sadly it caused even more pain. Even though i feel permanently fatigued, i get up, get dressed, put my makeup on and either go out or read a book in my garden. I won't let this rule my life. Summers coming and the heat will warm up my aching bones. Good on you for remaining positive, i totally honour your attitude. Good luck and keep smiling xx
  • Edited

It's never the end your right I was end stage liver des ease with cancer  I've stopped drinking since I was diagnosed had hep c  aswell . I had a liver transplant in July last year and my hep c as gone my cancer  has gone and ime recovering well 
  • Edited

I just wish I could get the truth out of consultants. You ask them for a frank prognosis, no holds barred and they just won't answer it.
    • Edited

You're right. Because every case is different. I know people personally who were given 6 months at most of a "good" life, and were now years later. Medicine, medical treatment and dietary lifestyle is completely changing every day and giving us more ammunition to combat this thing. I drink a LOT of coffee, I mean A LOT (coffee will go to war with liver disease and do wonders for you)

I juice daily;

Best juicing for you is apple, carrot, lemon, orange, turmeric  (TUMERIC IS THE BEST NATURAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY FOR THE LIVER, ON THE PLANET)

OR

apple, cucumber, ginger, kale, lemon, parsley, spinach

I don't eat any red meat, I don't drink alcohol (obviously) I ride my bicycle 30k-60ks every day, I eat tons of veg, lean fish. Drink lots of water (but not to much) I meditate. You can slow this thing down.

My most important daily tasks are;

6 cups of coffee every day.

1 Juice of either one of those.

Some form of excersize

Keep stress out of your life.

36 Year old alcoholic.

Diagnosed stage 3 liver disease 2011.

If anyone has any questions or wants to talk 1 on 1, I have time for any of you. I've researched this damn thing for years and it has taken me to every corner of the planet.

Love ya. 

• Posted

I'm not sure where you're from, because we tend to use Child-Pugh or MELD scoring in the UK.

Mine is Child-Pugh class A at 50 years old.

• Posted

Hey there I'm in Canada! Family is from England though.
    • Posted

class A you are doing really well and I wouldn't worry about anything other than living a healthy lifestyle. You'll most likely die from something else other than liver disease (sorry if that sounded harsh) happy you are class A
    • Posted

'You'll most likely die from something else'

Like liver cancer perhaps. Been tested for that, and they still won't say, yes you are at high risk from it, which is why we tested you. I found out by accident that they tested me, they weren't going to tell me. Comorbidity is quite a high risk.

At the same time (same day) I went into hospital two years ago for jaundice, I had an acute cerebral haemorrhage (bleed on the brain) with a midline shift.

One of these two or both together is going to get me at some stage, which I can deal with. I'd just like an informed opinion of the situation. Some times I have really pushed the consultant, until I felt he was going to show me the door. I know everyone is different, but I do think they have an idea.

I take it you went away and looked up Child-Pugh then.

• Posted

Why do you think Doctors are out to get you and are not telling you the truth. Thats preposterous. If they are telling you you're class A, you need to follow a healthy routine and you should be ok. The MELD and Pugh score are estimated from years of data, why do you think you're any different or a special case to not listen to those.

- Very Confused. 

• Posted

I didn't say they were out to get me. And I don't believe they are treating me differently, they are just not giving me answers. The same as the neuro surgeon, won't go into details about vascualr dementia, which stroke victims have a much higher chancee of suffering from early.

At least whem I spoke to the stroke organisation, they had loads of data, and whilst they could only give me the average based on that data, they gave me some answers. The neuro surgeon, having seen me and having all my medical and hospital data to hand, should have been able to give me a more accurate personalised prognosis.

https://patient.info/doctor/cirrhosis-pro

A score of 5-6 is class A (life expectancy 15-20 years); a score of 7-9 is class B (life expectancy 4-14 years); a score of 10-15 is class C (life expectancy 1-3 years). This aligns with a perioperative mortality (for abdominal surgery) of 10%, 30%, and 80% respectively.

• Posted

Having a hard time following where you're going with all of this. Bit confused at this point sorry.
    • Posted

Nice healthy.diet! Curious as if your doctor suggested coffee and how it works.
    • Posted

Yes, absolutely, Doctor. This is not theory, this is proven and WELL known in the medical community. Just a simple google search "how coffee helps the liver study" will give you all the information you need. Heavy Coffee drinking alcoholics never develop Cirrhosis, coincidence? Nope.
    • Posted

I wonder about tea and its effects on the liver though it's low octane compared to coffee.

I also wonder if the coffee helped neutralize the alcohol and how it helps after the diagnosis of cirrhosis🤔Also, would like to know if your liver doctor has made dietary/supplement suggestions and if so which ones is he adamant on? Is there certain medicines that can halt or reverse cirrhosis?

Hope you keep this post going. I found the discussion between you and others helpful.

• Edited

bb123 Alcoholic Cirhossis is absolutely haltable (not reversible) Any natural anti-inflamatory is encourage ( to keep your liver cells from imflamation ) the less inflamation, the less scarring. Staying away from everything toxic is a must, hair spray, cologne, exhaust from vehicles, it's hard yes I know but just being concious about it can help. I can get you an entire scope of my diet if you like. 
    • Posted

Hi Joel,

question, why coffee? I've been drinking green tea. Also  what  type of juicer do you use? 

• Posted

Thankfully there is a juicing store that does fresh juices every morning, so I just purchase there. Coffee, because its statistically proven that heavy coffee drinking alcoholics very rarely will ever progress to cirrhosis and independent studies from doctors have shown that it may just slow down the progression of the disease to a snails pace by acting as a protector to inflamed cells.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for all of the information you've shared. My partner of 8yrs has been diagnosed w end stage alcoholic Liver disease and have told us she may have 6 months. As her family, we are not wanting to except that. She's only 46 and she doesn't want to die, but with that said she's very weak. It's difficult to get her to eat, she's been drinking Boost plus; which is a liquid dietary supplement. She's been having terrible dry heaving in the evenings, no blood in bowel movements or vomit(if anything comes up). I want to atleast try some of the dietary drinks / foods you've mentioned and I'm hoping we can get her through this, without death being her only option. Praying it's not too late to heal her and fighting like hell to save her.

• Posted

Much appreciated. I'd like like to take you up on that offer.

• Posted

I understand exactly what you're talking about. I run into it all the time I went through over 25 doctors in order to get my diagnosis for something I had for 55 years. And actually the answer is, they don't know as much as you think they do. They're not withholding information from you, they don't know the answers. And they don't want to admit that to you.

• Posted

Joel66 im currently 24 years old feeling strong fatigue, weakness, insomia, indigestion and nust generally not feeling well. When i was 15 i started drinking but in my opinion not alot. However i had a really low tolerance to alcohol and often 1/4 times end up really drunk. I got my blood test done which showed elevated ALT levels of 80 , 2nd blood test 3 months later showed 110. My doctor sent me for a Ultrasound which revealed a fatty liver. He continued and tested me for billirubin levels which in my opinion were probably high because he asked me if im experiencing jaundice. Do i have fibrosis, cirrhosis?
    • Posted

Absolutely true.  I seem to know more than my Doctors - I have heard "I have no idea" many times!!!  When they don't know what my problem is - be it a rash or tender spot on the foot which makes walking painful - I suggest something, they look it up and say - hmm maybe you are right.  My regular doc retired a few years ago and she loved me going in to see her and always said what have you got for me lol?  She took early retirement because she said she just did not have the time to research into ways to combat illness the natural way.  I so miss her. 

• Posted

you need a fibroscan. you said you're very young, I'm not. And I have learned over the years that if the doctor won't give you what you need which in your case, is a fibroscan, then you may have to get another doctor. until you get with a very good and very aggressive doctor knowledgeable on your illness, there are lots of things you can do for a fatty liver. the first two being no alcohol, and no soda.

• Posted

Fatty Liver can happen at your age, if your diet is horrible thats a good start. More things than alcohol can raise those numbers. Were they high? The bilirubin? He would tell you. What is your urine color? Order a package of ChemStrips 10 and test your urine at home yourself. Get a Blood Sugar monitor and use it. Blood sugar is always crazy when you have fatty liver. Any pale stools? How is your fingernail heath? What Im getting at here is its going to take a lot more than a 110 ALT level forr a doctor to diagose you with anything. You need ALT ALP AST GGT, INR, BG, to really see where you are at.

• Posted

Hi there, can you outline your diet? No sugar? Amount of protein per day? 

Thank you 

• Posted

I would really love to know your entire diet please. You seem to be very knowledgeable and I am in some serious need of knowledge right now.

• Posted

hi, my father has this from alcohol and now has been given up to 12 months to live most. i want to offer part of my liver but he wont stop drinking how do i help or is it to late????? He has muscle wastage and i dont even recognise who he is and just want some advice or is it to late? thanks

• Posted

it was very encarugung message and if

i am diagnozed as stage 3-4 alcoholic liver

scarred , my blod test are perfect i do not feel any problenor pain , just by random

checkup they find out the liver problem

what advice can you give me , i of course

immedietely stopped drinking

• Posted

is stress really correlated with diagnosis or recovery? im nervous as i think i have liver disease/ cirrhosis. I have late night sweat but only on my feet, my liver feels enlarged by the touch but it doesn't hurt, and i also bruise easier than I used too. I havent had a drink in 4 days. As usual the first night after it was the worst. oh yeah i cant sleep for more than 20-40 minutes without rolling to my other side but the second night i slept fine. ive always had some trouble sleeping even before i ever drank. Based off this description how bad do you think it is? i went running tonight for 2.5 miles and i havent ran for over a year. i plan on hiking with the dog or running 5 times a week. i also eat really healthy and maintained my weight for 12 years. im 37 now. any advice would be great. ive been researching this for the past 7 hours so im aware of the strict diet but i already have a good one. i just need to avoid the ones ive seen today to avoid. thanks in advance.

• Posted

hi im recently diagnosed with cirrhosis, may i ask a couple of questions? im new to this forum? is there a direct messaging feature?

• Posted

so can you tell me a little more about your symptoms? I want to live the diet your living!

thanks

• Posted

Hi..ur msg gives hope. am in early cirrhosis stage,diagnosed recently. i am 38.and am searching internet for a story which gives me confidence and i came across yours. its really inspiring.

Did u face any symptoms or problems. and also please give me suggestions to deal with it.

thank-you

• Edited

was wondering what things you all have tried to help your liver heal. any ideas are appreciated!

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed with stage 3 fibrosis based upon the fibroscan. I'm worried sick about what the biopsy will reveal. It's crazy because I never had high liver values until a year or so after I quit drinking. I tried to build up the courage to tell my doctors that I was struggling with alcohol but they always dismissed it and made a joke of it. I thought that I had stopped in time to avoid any health consequences but now I am being hit pretty hard with reality and am terrified. I quit drinking once I realized that my young son noticed it and just hope that I will be able to survive to be here for him. I am the sole provide for the family and my son still relies on me a lot. I just hope that I can live to be here for him.

Has your liver improved since you were diagnosed and have you ever considered participating in a study?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.